First oil change questions

• Sponsors (?)

In the spring when I bring my car out I'm thinking it's going to get Mobil 1 0w-20. I was thinking about using 5w-30 but I figure since the 0w-20 oil is what Mobile 1 says to use then if there was a warranty issue of any kind I use that fact to make sure they don't screw me over! After the warranty is done I'll probably switch to 5w-30. I might even check with my Ford dealership to see what they want for warranty purposes. If I can use 5w-30 I will, the only reason Ford switched the Mustang over to 5w-20 was to help raise the EPA ratings on their fleet. I believe the switch was 2001.

When I bought my car new, it was 1,000 miles and I changed my oil with Motorcraft 5W20 and FL80S filter.

Repeat at 2,000 miles and at 6,000 miles.

At 9,000 miles I switched to using Mobil1 5W30 and kept using the Motorcraft FL820S.

Car now has almost 52,000 miles on her, the last 6,500 with the blower.

Matt

propellerhead said:
Whatever Ford puts in every 5,000 miles. I don't see why people go above and beyond what the engineers at the manufacturer recommend.

Not to be an jerk, but if people used that philosophy with their cars no one would modify them. Example: Why change the exhaust it's what the engineers at Ford said we should use. The recommendations Ford makes is probably assuming you're not racing or anything like that as well. Having some extra protection isn't the worst thing in the world. And synthetic is oil is better anyway, not to start that whole fight again!

Silvr04GT said:
Not to be an jerk, but if people used that philosophy with their cars no one would modify them. Example: Why change the exhaust it's what the engineers at Ford said we should use. The recommendations Ford makes is probably assuming you're not racing or anything like that as well. Having some extra protection isn't the worst thing in the world. And synthetic is oil is better anyway, not to start that whole fight again!
Putting a better exhaust is known and proven to improve performance. Changing out your oil at twice the rate needed doesn't improve performance.

But you're right. I agree. If you're racing at the track a lot, then I can understand the need to change the oil often. However, most daily drivers don't need it. Using synthetic oil and changing it every 3,000 miles on a daily driver is just overkill.