First upgrades for 98GT A4?

Prowler

May 31, 2003
MT
Bought a black 98GT with an auto tranny earlier this year and am finally thinking of modifying it. I had a 95GT w/5 speed a few years ago, so I'm familiar with the suspension setup, but this is a whole new engine and transmission for me.
Do you have any ideas to start modifying on a limited budget and garage to work in? I'd like to keep initial costs around a few hundred dollars.
How's the price/performance ratio on the PI head swap, intake/header/exhaust, or chipping it? I don't even know what chips are available, if anything (that's reputable). I do notice the shift point is quite low and I'd like to be able to run the rpms up a bit more.
I've done plenty of bolt on work on my previous car (full suspension work, supercharging, exhaust) and that's what I'm comfortable to start with. Right now I know the suspension course I want to run, so please help with my 0-60 times.
Thanks for the info!

• Sponsors (?)

Bought a black 98GT with an auto tranny earlier this year and am finally thinking of modifying it. I had a 95GT w/5 speed a few years ago, so I'm familiar with the suspension setup, but this is a whole new engine and transmission for me.
Do you have any ideas to start modifying on a limited budget and garage to work in? I'd like to keep initial costs around a few hundred dollars.
How's the price/performance ratio on the PI head swap, intake/header/exhaust, or chipping it? I don't even know what chips are available, if anything (that's reputable). I do notice the shift point is quite low and I'd like to be able to run the rpms up a bit more.
I've done plenty of bolt on work on my previous car (full suspension work, supercharging, exhaust) and that's what I'm comfortable to start with. Right now I know the suspension course I want to run, so please help with my 0-60 times.
Thanks for the info!

First thing you should get is 3.73 gears and a Xcal 2 tuned from MPH. She will feel like a new car with just those 2 mods.

The gears will have to wait, as I just had the whole rear end opened up by the Ford shop (still have powertrain warranty to fix bearings) and don't feel like going through that again so soon.
Where did you purchase the Xcal? Was it tuned in person, or did you just email your list of mods to a tuner? What difference did it make on your ETs? Price and place to purchase from?

I put almost every bolton On my 98gt and I ran a 13.8 with out headers, gears, PI swap and a tune.. I have added 3.73 gears, a tune since then and I think I can do better. I got most of the part off ebay and the total cost of what I have is around $1500. I dyno'd the car at 233rwhp/310rwtq. Now I have bassani headers, p&p pi heads, pi intake, vt stage 1 cams, 24lb injectors and a new cobra maf That . I think i will be in the mid 12s with these mods and over 300rwhp.

The gears will have to wait, as I just had the whole rear end opened up by the Ford shop (still have powertrain warranty to fix bearings) and don't feel like going through that again so soon.
Where did you purchase the Xcal? Was it tuned in person, or did you just email your list of mods to a tuner? What difference did it make on your ETs? Price and place to purchase from?

I got the Xcal from MPH. They are probably the best place to get one from. After you put the order in they will call you up to see what mods you have and what kind of tune you want.

How much do you think the auto tranny is slowing down times compared to the manual tranny?
About a full second

Get a tranny cooler, they are cheap and easy to install, just make sure you connect the right lines

Gears, 4.10 is the best gear for the auto, 3.73 is nothing
to brag about, I use to have them in my old 98 auto and was disappointed

Choosing if you want a full PI swap or Cams/PI intake/ported heads, with the PI Swap you gain alot of compression (10.5 average)

......................Do you have any ideas to start modifying on a limited budget and garage to work in? I'd like to keep initial costs around a few hundred dollars.

Some good mods for cheap are PI cams and a PI intake on your stock heads. Used PI cams are around $75 and a PI intake around $175. The cams are easy to replace if you use the right tools and technique. Those mods are good for at least 15-20 horses and another 1000 rpm's. An X-pipe is another good mod since it improves the whole power-band. Get a hand-held tuner to adjust shift points, timing and rev limits. For the future, gears are a must.