Fixing 2.3L... Help?

Do you think I can make a 2.3L look and sound like a 5.0L? (not under the hood)

• Total voters

Rodiak41

Mar 14, 2007
Canada
hey... Im 14 and my grandpa bought me a 87' Mustang LX, perfect! but, its a 4 banger. I dont mind, seeing as how its a t top and everything, but i want it to look like a 5.0L, and i want it to sound just like one too (probably wont happen)

we spent some time buying a exhaust system, not the whole thing, just from, like, the rear axel back, and its a 5.0L dual exhaust one, then we installed it. so thats great, but i want a deeper, louder sound. my grandpa says putting 4-6 inch pipe in it or something like that would help (I dont remember exactly)... and he's been a mechanic for 35 years, so I trust him... but im wondering if theres any other ways of getting a "5.0L sound" out of it and getting more hp without going over $500 (no engine swaps)... my grandpa would probably get a 5.0L, but since shes my first car, he doesnt want me killing myself. (ive been driving since 2 years old....yes, 2!)

so any tips on performance and car sound (not audio) would be much appreciated!

:canada: :SNSign:

IF ANYONE COULD TELL ME ALL STOCK 2.3L STATS I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR IT!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Howdy.

So your car is a T-top car...hang on to that.

As far as exhaust....closest you'll get to a V8 sound is a V6 sound, I had a longtube header on my old car, stock cat, dual Flowmaster 40 series and tailpipes. It wasn't too bad but wasn't too great either (didn't sound bad as long as you didn't go over 3000 RPM). I used to have a sound clip on this website that I linked to, but they crosslinked it with some other thread and screwed it up, and I tried re-uploading it but they never update their friggin page. So I could probably e-mail it to you later if you want it.

As far as performance and stats...not good.

Stock- 88 hp, 132 ft-lbs, and bolt ons don't do much.

Best bet for any real power is a turbo swap.

Congratulations on getting a fox, and especially a 2.3 one at that. :nice:
He's right about not being able to make any real power without a turbo swap. Even exhaust work wont give you much, if any of an increase, so if i were you id just save the money to fix all of the little things that will be wrong with the car.....you may not notice them now but you will after a while, such as door locks that dont work, windows that move up and down too slow, wind noise and leaks from old weatherstripping, etc....You'll be much happier if you fix those things first, trust me

hey Red, of course Im gonna keep the t top! but me and my grandpa got talking and now, Im gonna buy a 2.3Turbo, so any reccomendations for that?? and kevin, I have rusted out doors, and fenders, but we also bought another 89' for parts, whoel body is in tip top shape... once Im done fixing the car Ill post a pic!

Well I didn't mean to keep the t-tops, I meant to keep the car.

And it's referred to as a Fox because it's based on the "Fox" platform, which was under mustangs from 1979 to 2004, as well as '83-88 Thunderbirds & Cougars, Fairmonts & Zephyrs (not sure what year ranges on those), Granadas I think, and hell I can't remember if there are any others.

yeah i know... i meant ill keep the car because its a t top!!! =P
i took some vids today and im gonna put em up on youtube.com... so when i do ill put the link here and you can check it out!!!