Flame Thrower Kits!

silverGTSaleen

Apr 6, 2003
Texas!
I was at Sonic on Sat. and noticed this 03 and a 94-95 GT pull in together they were grabin some grub and before i could make my way over ( thanks to the g/f :rolleyes: )
they started pulling out. Being how this was a Sonic, home to the sat. night riders, almost everybody "leaves with style"
I was looking at the 03 and he reved up the RMPs high then let off then flames shot out the back tail pipes, VERY impresive the whole place got very quite :p My jaw droped!
Then the man with the five-o under his hood left his impression, he reved it up then let off the out of his Side exhaust, yes side exhaust, flames shot out. I about droped to my knees :hail2: you could have heard a pin drop at that place then, I was about 10 from the back of his car and i would say the flames shot out about 6 to 8 feet on each side! I ran to the side of his car, but the only thing I got out of him was a smile :p and he told me it was a secret, then he noticed my stang and he just told me "it was a kit"?

Does anybody know anything about these "Kits" I want one really bad! :flame: :flame:

Josh :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

silverGTSaleen said:
I was at Sonic on Sat. and noticed this 03 and a 94-95 GT pull in together they were grabin some grub and before i could make my way over ( thanks to the g/f :rolleyes: )
they started pulling out. Being how this was a Sonic, home to the sat. night riders, almost everybody "leaves with style"
I was looking at the 03 and he reved up the RMPs high then let off then flames shot out the back tail pipes, VERY impresive the whole place got very quite :p My jaw droped!
Then the man with the five-o under his hood left his impression, he reved it up then let off the out of his Side exhaust, yes side exhaust, flames shot out. I about droped to my knees :hail2: you could have heard a pin drop at that place then, I was about 10 from the back of his car and i would say the flames shot out about 6 to 8 feet on each side! I ran to the side of his car, but the only thing I got out of him was a smile :p and he told me it was a secret, then he noticed my stang and he just told me "it was a kit"?

Does anybody know anything about these "Kits" I want one really bad! :flame: :flame:

Yes they make kits that include coils, a relay, and a switch that makes it all work. They installed one on a truck on the TRUCKS show on TNN. It basically shuts off the cars coil for a second to dump fuel into the exhaust and then ignites the coils that work the plugs that you put in the exhaust and that causes the flame from igniting the fuel in the exhaust. You cannot use cats with this system and it's usually only on carb cars since it's easier to make work.

I called the company that had them, but I can't remeber their name right now.... it was like auto security or something... I'm sure it will come to me, when it does I'll let you know, or you could look it up on the TRUCKS! website.

2L8, I just talked to the Man at the local Hot Rod shop and he told me they do make kits for our cars, and they dont shut off and ignition to dump fuel or anything adverse like that, but he told me he would get back with me :rolleyes:

And plus I dont have cats, allergic to them :D

where are u in texas, i live in houston and i have only seen 2 cars shoot flames, a viper and a fox body. the viper as best as i can assumer was only from backfire, b/c its was only like 8-12 inches long and was coupled with some loud ass backfire. scared the hell out of me b/c i was behind and to the right of him. my gf at the time almost spilled he drink all over me.

silverGTSaleen said:
2L8, I just talked to the Man at the local Hot Rod shop and he told me they do make kits for our cars, and they dont shut off and ignition to dump fuel or anything adverse like that, but he told me he would get back with me :rolleyes:

And plus I dont have cats, allergic to them :D

Let us know what kind of kit it is when he gets back to you, I think I could be interested in a flame thrower kit :D

Shooting flames is kick ass. I checked into this a while back. I think that it'd cost about $200-250 bucks for a kit. The parts that are needed are: 2 spark plugs, 2 bungs to weld into the exhaust pipes, 2 spark plug wires, 2 cheapo coils, a special 'black box' to fire the plugs, and a switch. Flipping the switch turns off the main coil on the engine so the fuel dumps through and out the tailpipes. At the same time, the black box generates pulses for the coils to fire the tailpipe plugs to ignite the fuel that is passing through.

I've been told that using this causes extra engine (cylinder wall) wear, since the excess fuel washes off the oil film on the cyliders. Does anyone know how much of an issue this is? (is it worth it???)

You can also use propane to make flame throwers. I don't know all of the details of this, but you have to have a propane tank and then plumb it into the tailpipe. I'd assume that you'd also need a solinoid to control the flow. You'd probably also still need the black box, coils, plugs, etc. This method doesn't cut off the mail coil, so I'm assuming that the engine wear issue is nonexistant.

It seems to me that the flame 'pattern' (how the flame looks as it shoots out) is better with the non-propane method. I'm not certain of this... After watching the Trucks! episode (non-propane), it seems that the flame is more on and off. On Monster Garage, they used propane on the Mustang lawn mower's flame throwers. The flame pattern is less on and off, and seems to die out slowly and rise up from the tip of the pipe as it's dying. I'd be scared that the bumper would get damaged with propane, but the only time I seen it in action was on that one episode of Monster Garage.

You can basically go to a junk yard, get 2 coils. Go to the local parts store get 2 spark plugs and some heavy duty wire like 4-9 guage, Also a switch. There is a website just search for flame throwers in Google, that tell you how to do it yourself. Also if you can richen up your car, you will throw longer flames.

but if you do it like that you car is still running the whole time, which could be a bad thing if possibly a flame decides to travel up into your engine while you are still pumping gas into it.

HtownGT said:
but if you do it like that you car is still running the whole time, which could be a bad thing if possibly a flame decides to travel up into your engine while you are still pumping gas into it.

Only if you are carb, with fuel inject, you won't have a problem with the flame traveling up the tail pipe. It will always be being pushed out.