flaming river shaft?

1991notchbackLX

Dec 25, 2007
New York
i have longtubes on my coupe and the stock (power) steering shaft is rubbing and making annoying creaking noises once the headers have expanded due to heat... can i buy just the flaming river steering SHAFT, without switching to an entire manual steering system, will this fix the problem? thanks in advance for the help

chris :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

i'm seeing the problem as being the large rag joint in the stock shaft, it seems to me the flaming river unit eliminates this... if there is a major problem with this item, fitment or otherwise, what other options do i have? thanks

chris

okay, i did a search and i see that the Maximum Motorsports steering shaft is the preferred unit, I'll gladly pay the extra 25 bucks for the safety and peace of mind... but one last REALLY stupid question... I have stock power steering right now, so which MM shaft do i buy? the one for 79-93 power steering or the one for 79-93 manual steering? do they both eliminate the rag joint, will they both fix the prob? now i feel stupid :(

thanks again, chris:nice:

I just installed the Flaming river unit... and had no problems...and YES, I have stock power steering.
It's a quality product.

The only caveat is that you'll need to trim the solid steel shaft to the size that fits your car. This is a not brainer as you can line up the OLD and the FR unit side to side to approximate length.

If you purchase the FR unit and need advice, write me.

P.S.
MM has great stuff and I have a *****load of their products in my car. I chose FR because my local Mustang shop (dallasmustang) carries their stuff.

Good Luck !!!

i have the FR unit on 2 different mustangs a 87GT conv and a 91 coupe. improved the performance on both by alot. and yes it will clear long tubes i have bbk's. installing on both cars was easy and i did not have to trim or modify anything. i never dealt with the other brands so i can't say anything about those. the set screw can be a pain you just need to turn the front wheels to get them at the right angle is all.

Two hundred bucks for a frickin' steering shaft?!? :eek: That's as much as the whole steering rack, itself!

The funny part is that i bet 9 out of 10 guys who have steer shaft to header rubbing problems have the same problem i have...their engine isn't sitting centered in the K member. If they just unbolt the engine and rock it over to the driver's side and bolt it back down, no more rubbing issues.