Flaming River Steering Column

AdamInChains

Apr 22, 2006
I'm considering upgrading my steering column to an aftermarket. Possibly to something stainless steel with tilt. Does anyone have any experience/comments with Flaming River columns? Or any other brands? I have no plans to switch to R&P any time soon. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

AdamInChains said:
I'm considering upgrading my steering column to an aftermarket. Possibly to something stainless steel with tilt. Does anyone have any experience/comments with Flaming River columns? Or any other brands? I have no plans to switch to R&P any time soon. Thanks.
I have done many Flaming River column swaps and they're very nice. The tilt function works well and the turn signal switch works a lot nicer than the stock one. They can be a bit weird to wire up your first time, but you'll get it.

AdamInChains said:
Thanks, do you use the ones with the GM spline or Ford spline?
Depends on the steering wheel I want to use. For an original wheel, you obviously need the Ford spline. For an aftermarket wheel, it pretty much doesn't matter, since the adapters are usually available for either spline. Many wheels from the street rod end of things are only available in GM spline, or just work better that way.

Flaming river offers an adapter for both gm and ford splines to use aftermarket steering wheels. I bought the ford splined column and later decided to use a grant wheel. So i ordered the adapter from F.R. and it bolted right up. Now I can go back to an original wheel IF I wanted to without any hassle.

Adapters

prd_sm_159.jpg

From my experience the stuff they give you with the Ford-splined column to adapt the horn to the GM system is cheesy garbage. Better to use a GM-splined column along with an aftermarket wheel.

I just replaced my orginal box with a flame river. I will say its a bit of a pain if you got power steering to install. I have both the orginal and a grant steering wheel. Both fit great. My Grant wheel has been on both the orginal and later and fit well. I will say save your gaskets for the tube, because they are a pain to find new. Right now I just have a cork gasket around mine.

The wireing is a bit if a pain. Make sure you take good notes on where your orginal goes so you can easily install. Their instructions helped alot, however white turns yellow and yellow turns off white. hehe sometimes just a bit of a pain.