flat tappet cam

sn-95matt5-0

Nov 6, 2006
alright in my budget 351 build i need a flat tappet cam because i cant justify dropping the cash on retro rollers while i'm still using gt40 heads. i need to know which ones i can use while still being efi. i want to keep the rpms low and i want as much grunt as i can get out of this motor in the low to mid rpm range.

• Sponsors (?)

Custom cam from comp. Only way to go and keep the stock computer. I have one in my car (92) but it works great. I have no numbers to tell u as the car has not been to the track since the build. Cost 200 for the cam and like 75 or so for the lifters. I used a 8.20 push rod as well. Urs could be different so be sure to measure. Good luck.

BTW: they do not make an OTS cam for a flat tappet motor and stock efi computer, thats why I went custom. Only like 80 bucks more.

thanks thats what i wanted to hear. how would i go about getting a custom cam. do i email comp cams directly or do i need to go through summit or jegs?

thanks again for the help.

Any 351w hydraulic cam will work because 351's have the same firing order as your stock 5.0. Your main problem with the cam will be making the computer play nice with the cam which is why you have the tweecer.

There is also a option of adapting your stock 5.0's roller lifters, dog bones, and spider to the non roller block and using a small base circle roller cam but your choices will be more limited as there isn't near as many small base circle cams out there to chose from.

small base circle cams are not recommended. the dynamics change too much and it is not as reliable. i'd go flat tappet before i went with a small base circle.

while hydraulic rollers are preferable to flat tappets, they do use flat tappets in NASCAR, so they can't be all that bad ...

you can also use standard hydraulic rollers, dog bones, and the spider if you keep the lift low enough that the lifters stay far enough in the holes. exactly what that lift is, i don't know.

i definately like the price

that cam looks very mild to me. it has 0* (actually -8*) overlap at .050", and only 35* overlap total. lift is not very high either. what about it would cause problems? the specs say it is not computer controlled compatible ... i wonder why?

plus, matt has a tweecer r/t, so he can tune it

yes i do plan on tuning with my tweecer. the not computer controlled thing is what i was wondering about to begin with.

would this cam be decent for my combo of 351w, gt40 heads, trickflow 351w intake nonbox,

i still dont really know how to pick a cam, so any help is appreciated.