flexplate & transmission questions

drmccollum

Jun 25, 2008
I have a 66 Mustang with an I6 that I'm going to do the V8 swap. I had a guy rebuild me a 302 that I believe is a 1978 block with the 28oz Harmonic balancer. It does not have a flexplate on the back and he also threw in a used v8 model C4 transmission.

The model number for the block is D8OE 6015 E3A and the balancer number is D62E-6316-A2A. The model number on the Transmission is DAOP 7006 AA. I couldn't find any information on the transmission, so I don't know what year model or anything about it. He also left the torque converter in it.

What I need to know is what flexplate should I use and will this transmission work with the engine as is, or do I need to buy a new bellhousing/torque converter. Also, will the flexplate/bellhousing on my I6 C4 work with the new V8?

Thanks in advance

Don

• Sponsors (?)

I went thru this last fall.

It was pretty sticky.

First of all your bellhousing has to be the small one for the 154 tooth flexplate (dont skimp on the flexplate either) required to fit in the small bellhousing. Mine was hard to find to say the least. The entrance into the transmission tunnel from the engine bay will not allow for use of a bigger bellhousing without a big hammer at the least.

Make sure the shift linkage on the transmission is pointed upward if you have a floor shift.....ask me how I know that....

Read the thread up top about I-6 to V-8 conversions, it wasn`t quite as simple as just dropping it in and it working out right, but I`m happy to say the I-6 driveshaft worked, and I haven`t been able to twist it in half yet.

Your 6 cyl bell will not work, and I dont think the flexplate will either.