Flooding

Phatt_daddy

Apr 22, 2005
Hytop, AL
Hey all. Kinda new to the whole mustang network so bare with me. I just got an '87 GT that is still fuel injected my problem is that at idle and at whole throttle the car is flooding like all get out. I have already replaced two sets of plugs gapped at .54 on the first set and .56 on the second set, I justy put the third set in without checking them. The first two sets were gas fouled. Also the car has a real bad jerk to it when I try to keep the throttle and rpms at a steady level for any amount of time. MPG is like at about 7 to 8 mpg and timing is at 10-12* with no other mods.

thanks,
Nathan

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to the club...

You '87 should have speed density engine management and if it's not heavily modified (heads and cam) will run good.

Shooting from the hip I suggest checking the vacuum line to the MAP sensor on the firewall and making sure it's in good shape. It's purpose is to let the puter know how much vacuum the engine is pulling (AKA how much load on the motor) so the puter can determine how much gas to feed it. A failing line will cause the motor to think the engine is under a higher load and cause the fuel injectors to feed in more fuel.

Jamie

man, Jamie took the words right out of my mouth.

FWIW, a stockish motor should pull 15-20" hg at idle (closer to 20" if in decent shape).

good luck.