Progress Thread Floor pan repair/build thread

Finally another update. So the leaks have been fixed and I secured another pedal rack and brace and just finished rebuilding and halfway restoring that. Only thing left to do before everything goes back together is to put the new evaporator core in which isn’t going to be fun and then lay down some sound deadening.

CCA929B3-1886-46D8-BA18-E3AAD92C307A.jpeg

The left is the one I bought and halfway restored. On the right is the one that came out of the car and was broken in 4 places somehow.

• Sponsors (?)

Does it come apart that easy? I know a lot of guys will just cut on the “marked” line and then glue that part back together
Mine is an 83 and the top of the heater core area screws on... I believe its the newer models that did not have this feature..
On the workbench picture, the piece sitting on top of the two larger halves, screws onto the "side" of the HVAC box.. The evaporator is under it...

Mine is an 83 and the top of the heater core area screws on... I believe its the newer models that did not have this feature..
On the workbench picture, the piece sitting on top of the two larger halves, screws onto the "side" of the HVAC box.. The evaporator is under it...
The hard part is taking all of the dash out...... I am guessing installing it will be fun too.....

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Just caught up on this thread. Glad to see you’re still going at it!
Make sure you post some progress pics on the new shop too! Thats going to be nice!

297E5BF1-CD5B-46D6-A280-1526E26AFE0E.jpeg
First layer of kilmat is down. Next is the noico closed cell foam. For now I’m only doing the places that the dash is in the way of that way the dash can go back in and I can focus on the rest later. Need to be able to move the car around again. Also just refurbished the heater box with LMRs seal kit and did the evaporator core. Wish I took more pictures but it was just super messy.
9498E95F-E191-42AB-863F-81CAF9FFA401.jpeg

LMRs kit is okay but it was an absolute pain to get the little foam sheets lined up properly. Took the heater box apart and replaced the fresh air/recirculate blend door foam. I replaced the caulk and put in a new blower motor since the old one nearly cuts the car off it draws so much power. I will say that the heater box to fresh air seal is pretty good quality in the kit but other than that I’m not too impressed. I managed to mess up my back pretty bad a week and a half ago and made it worse by working on the car but I have some down time before starting my new job so I hopefully I’ll get the closed cell foam laid down and the dash back in.

Would anyone happen to have any pictures of the drivers side footwell and how the insulation runs in relation to the dead pedal and the cruise control computer? Since I replaced the insulation with the quiet ride solutions I’m having to kinda start from scratch. The guy that fixed the rust just cut the insulation out and I have nothing to make a template off of anymore. I’ll include a picture of what I’m talking about
C695F354-946D-4D9C-BE94-2164C4763D23.jpeg

If anyone could include a picture of this side with the insulation in place and with the dead pedal in the picture it would be greatly appreciated. I’m kinda stumped right now. The kit included two pieces for the sides but I only remember the drivers side having insulation behind the kick panel not the passenger

Aside from being stumped on the foot well insulation on the sides, I made some pretty decent progress for how bad my back is feeling.
F479431A-880A-42FE-91DD-82633F12258C.jpeg

DCDD1758-B681-471E-8E8F-6DAFDC721974.jpeg

Got the noico closed cell foam laid down and got the new firewall insulation fitted in. Figment wasn’t terrible but not great either. A bit of trimming and some cutting and I got it all in and the pedal rack and accelerator pedal back in. Unfortunately due to typical NC weather I’ll have to wait until at least Friday to continue working on it. I aim to figure out the insulation situation and hopefully get the hvac box in and then hopefully the dash back in. Once that’s done I’ll hook everything up and try and get the steering column back in. Then it’s time to put the new seat belt assembly’s in and get the rest of the sound deadening in and aim to get the carpet in and fitted all before Feb 13th.

Reactions: 2 users
I can tell you from looking at the carpet in my Coupe that there is no insulation behind the dead pedal and the passenger side kick panel is loose (forgot to put the pin in after a tune) and there is no insulation around where the pin goes into the sheet metal.

I can tell you from looking at the carpet in my Coupe that there is no insulation behind the dead pedal and the passenger side kick panel is loose (forgot to put the pin in after a tune) and there is no insulation around where the pin goes into the sheet metal.
Greatly appreciated. I think I finally figured it out. Some of my insulation was already cut so that’s why it confused me so much.

5C1A357C-AD0E-424B-80FB-85C6D417F6A7.jpeg

Anyone know what brand quadrant this is? My google searches don’t return anything. I will 100% be replacing this quadrant with a maximum Motorsports quadrant, cable, and FW adjuster. I have the adjuster screwed really far out so the cable is tight enough against the middle hook for now but I don’t want to drive around much like that. The cable has also worn the inside groove of the quadrant down where the people who installed it had the washers all wrong. Aside from that I got all the drivers side bracketry and even the kick panel insulation in as seen in the back ground. Next goes the HVAC box. Also, does anyone have an ID on these two wires coming out of the driver door harness? One is pink with yellow tracer and the other is pink with bluish green tracer.
4642B9A1-AC48-4E0C-A356-9476FD86DA38.jpeg

Found a reference to the quadrant over on the Corral sold by Cool Blue Performance hence the "CBP". Few folks had issues with the subpar cable supplied with the quadrant , cable, and fire wall adjuster kit. They originally sold for $50 + $10 shipping. I do not believe they are in business anymore as there were several threads on them being a little shady.

Cannot help you with the wires but I think Mustang5L5 has the EVTM for an 89 so you may want to hit him up.

Found a reference to the quadrant over on the Corral sold by Cool Blue Performance hence the "CBP". Few folks had issues with the subpar cable supplied with the quadrant , cable, and fire wall adjuster kit. They originally sold for $50 + $10 shipping. I do not believe they are in business anymore as there were several threads on them being a little shady.

Cannot help you with the wires but I think Mustang5L5 has the EVTM for an 89 so you may want to hit him up.
You really do learn something new everyday. Thanks for the find. I went down the rabbit hole and it’s pretty interesting to read. Guess the awful feeling clutch isn’t normal after all lol. Got a new cable, FW adjuster, and quadrant ordered from MM. Might keep the old quadrant as a piece of history. I’ll hit him up and see if he’s got it. Thanks for all the help.

So next smallish update. I got the hvac box and the entire pedal assembly finished up. I got a new clutch quadrant, cable, and FW adjuster ordered through MM but of course the cable is on back order. I will have to sort of slide the hvac box out just enough to fit the new evaporator core to firewall seal on then I need to remove just the heater box so I can make it easy enough to put the new computer bracket in. After that I’m done with everything behind the dash. I’m not sure if I should then try and fit the new carpet in or if I should put the dash in first. Either way here are some progress pics. I have the big quarter trim pieces out so l could replace the seat belt assembly’s and re dye the trim pieces.
071F7516-CBDF-4816-9E9D-727BB8543EB4.jpeg

731796D1-9CE8-43ED-93F9-35A5C7242397.jpeg

I have a massive mess going on because I’m using the car as a storage unit to keep all the parts that need to go back in. I wanted to pull the quarter insulation to sound deaden behind it but it I’m just running out of time so that may have to be a project for a later date. I did spray some odor killer and disinfectant all over the insulation though because I don’t trust any of it lol.

Some more progress was made today. I ended up getting the new seat belt tensioners installed and aligned. I laid some more sound deadening down in the back seat area and the back of the trans tunnel. My goal for tomorrow is to have both of the quarter trim pieces dyed and back in the car. I would’ve put more deadening in the back seat area but I don’t have enough to do that and still get the hatch floor fully covered. I figure the seats are easy enough to pull to access at a later date.
1703C7A9-4F8E-4D9F-9B82-BCF8B73D0E3B.jpeg

81036D90-A6F9-4AD7-97B2-6B0B950DBE6B.jpeg

I plan on laying some more sound deadening on the floors where the front seats go but I need to put a piece of rubber in between the subframe connector and the passenger drain on the floor pan as suggested earlier in the thread. I want that done before I lay more deadening down in case the jacking up of the floor tweaks it in any way.

Definitely not the most professional job of laying down the deadening but I’m pretty proud of how the trans tunnel came out. More progress to be had tomorrow