Flowmaster Question

glennl

Founding Member
Jan 27, 2000
JERSEY!!
Okay, so i am looking to quiet down the beast a bit... it's way too loud now. So I am looking at some Flowmaster mufflers to weld in to my Mac Cat-back. Looking at Summit, however, creates some confusion. The 40 series mufflers say "More Power, Less Noise" but then go on in the description to say, "most aggresive flowmaster sound" and "hear the famous flowmaster sound outside and inside the vehicle"

So which is it? Is it less noisy? Or more aggressive? Also, what about 3 chambers? they're more quiet right? Any insight here is appreciated. Thanks...

G

• Sponsors (?)

okay, so say i am gonna get 3 chambers. The 2.5" offset inlet/outlet ones are 17" long. The 2 chamber ones that say they're for mustangs are only 13" long. Am i gonna have fitment problems with the longer 3 chambers?

Timmey9 said:
Anyone use dynomax super turbos? I have 1 chambers and they are too damn loud...i want to have a nice rumble but no drone.

Any one?

I have Dynomax Super Turbo's. Originally bought because I wanted to go turbo. But now I am going with a supercharger and am converting to Flowmaster. Super Turbo's are QUIET. I cannot emphasize quiet enough. Surprisingly there is no drone. They sound the best at idle, but when stepping on the gas you can tell it's a mustang, but it doesn't pi$$ off your neighbors.

I would weld in some magnaflows instead of getting a new flowbastard cat-back. Magnaflows sound so much better then flowbastards and MACs. I have tried all three and the magnaflows sound so much better. Much quieter then the others but now so quiete you feel like you are driving a stock car.

glennl said:
Okay, so i am looking to quiet down the beast a bit... it's way too loud now. So I am looking at some Flowmaster mufflers to weld in to my Mac Cat-back. Looking at Summit, however, creates some confusion. The 40 series mufflers say "More Power, Less Noise" but then go on in the description to say, "most aggresive flowmaster sound" and "hear the famous flowmaster sound outside and inside the vehicle"

So which is it? Is it less noisy? Or more aggressive? Also, what about 3 chambers? they're more quiet right? Any insight here is appreciated. Thanks...

G

jadedinpa said:
if you want it quiet get Borla mufflers. 'nuff said.

im not gonna dissagree just adding my thought. im running 1 5/8 shortys to offroad X currently have borlas which replaced my 3 chamber flowmasters which replced my cherry bombs around idle the borlas are quieter than flowmasters the best example i can think of right now : turn the volume on your stock mustang stereo to mid volume and go down one bar is about eqivelent to the diffrence in sound level at idle to roughly 1000rpm but anything above 1000pm is to close in sound level the major diffrence is the borla doesnt have that raspy almost ticking sound that makes a flowmaster a flowmaster. i do like the sound of my borlas much more becasuse there is a deeper sound that replaces the raspy note of the flowmaster. And i do believe this reduces the interior noise if u want quieter put high flow cats in that will help more than changing to borlas. i had the cherry bombs on with and without cats the noise level about tripled without the cats. maybe a stock muffler can drop the noise as much as a cat will but not a porformance muffler that i know of. ( also the high flow cats will not take a major toll on your hp ) 2-3 hp if i remember correctly.

the borlas are also smaller and lighter than the 3 chamber flowmasters and have a polished finish