Flowmaster Question

glennl said:
Okay, so i am looking to quiet down the beast a bit... it's way too loud now. So I am looking at some Flowmaster mufflers to weld in to my Mac Cat-back. Looking at Summit, however, creates some confusion. The 40 series mufflers say "More Power, Less Noise" but then go on in the description to say, "most aggresive flowmaster sound" and "hear the famous flowmaster sound outside and inside the vehicle"

So which is it? Is it less noisy? Or more aggressive? Also, what about 3 chambers? they're more quiet right? Any insight here is appreciated. Thanks...

G
YEA,the 3-chambered flowmasters were designed to cut down on the drown that the 2-chambers are famous for.I put them on 3 months ago,I went back and told the exhaust guy they were pretty queit,he said give them a chance to break in.Well I did,and they got alot throatear,they sound real nice,and they actually create more torque then the 2-chambers.

• Sponsors (?)

hawaiian said:
im not gonna dissagree just adding my thought. im running 1 5/8 shortys to offroad X currently have borlas which replaced my 3 chamber flowmasters which replced my cherry bombs around idle the borlas are quieter than flowmasters the best example i can think of right now : turn the volume on your stock mustang stereo to mid volume and go down one bar is about eqivelent to the diffrence in sound level at idle to roughly 1000rpm but anything above 1000pm is to close in sound level the major diffrence is the borla doesnt have that raspy almost ticking sound that makes a flowmaster a flowmaster. i do like the sound of my borlas much more becasuse there is a deeper sound that replaces the raspy note of the flowmaster. And i do believe this reduces the interior noise if u want quieter put high flow cats in that will help more than changing to borlas. i had the cherry bombs on with and without cats the noise level about tripled without the cats. maybe a stock muffler can drop the noise as much as a cat will but not a porformance muffler that i know of. ( also the high flow cats will not take a major toll on your hp ) 2-3 hp if i remember correctly.

the borlas are also smaller and lighter than the 3 chamber flowmasters and have a polished finish
***LOL, I would love to hear a 5.0 with cherry bombs & no cats!!!!!!!!!!!!

willys1 said:
YEA,the 3-chambered flowmasters were designed to cut down on the drown that the 2-chambers are famous for.I put them on 3 months ago,I went back and told the exhaust guy they were pretty queit,he said give them a chance to break in.Well I did,and they got alot throatear,they sound real nice,and they actually create more torque then the 2-chambers.
Yes, but are they still quiet? I HATE drone and you get a ton of it with the Mac's!
mustangdaren said:
The Mac cat back exhaust sound nice.
Uh, dude are you high? :rlaugh: Yeah, the Mac's sound great at WOT. I’ve got the same cat back on my car, but they’ve got to be among the loudest systems on the market. The object of the game here is to quieten down the exhaust, not deafen your neighbours. :p

That being said….I’ve had enough of my Mac mufflers too, so I’m thinking of the 3-chamber Flows or the Dynomax super turbo’s. I don’t care if it sounds stock. As long as they're not putting a cork in the power doing it. I’d rather leave them hanging at the light thinking they got waxed by a stock 5.0, than spend what little money I’ve got left, on asprin. ;)

Get something you can easy remove in case you get the bug to be loud again. I am playing musical mufflers. I had 2 chamber flowmaster with tail pipes, two chamber flowmaster with turndowns, MAC cat-back with tail pipes, 2.5 inch dynomax bullets with turndowns, 2.5 inch Flowmaster American thunder cat-back, 3 inch dynomax bullets with turndowns and soon to be MAC pro dumps this coming Monday. I just can't make up my mind, lol.

mustangdaren said:
I guess I just don't notice the drone of flowmasters or mac mufflers that everyone hates. After you ride it a car with dynomax bullets and turndowns flowmasters are like getting in a cadilac, lol.
:lol: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

yeah i have the orignal 2 chambers bigg drone at 2200 but, noting sound deadner cant fix, but if you want quite 3 chambers are the way too go.
I for 1 would take my 2 chambers, just sounds awsome at 1am on a sat nite racing friends :D :flag:

Okay, so i am looking to quiet down the beast a bit... it's way too loud now. So I am looking at some Flowmaster mufflers to weld in to my Mac Cat-back. Looking at Summit, however, creates some confusion. The 40 series mufflers say "More Power, Less Noise" but then go on in the description to say, "most aggresive flowmaster sound" and "hear the famous flowmaster sound outside and inside the vehicle"

So which is it? Is it less noisy? Or more aggressive? Also, what about 3 chambers? they're more quiet right? Any insight here is appreciated. Thanks...

G

Just curious, but do you have tail pipes or turn downs? If you've got turndowns, forget about quiet mufflers...but for tailpipes, Flowmaster Deltas are pretty quiet compared to 2 chambers. I love the sound of 3 chambers, and as stated above if you've got cats you'll quiet things down considerably.

http://www.exhaustsoundclips.com/so...stckheaders_2.5inhiflowxpipe_flowmaster40.mp3

'89 GT, stock headers, 2.5 inch Flowmaster Delta 40s (i assume they've got the stock H also)

I used to have 3 chambers with tails and they were pretty quiet. I switched to Borla XS turbos with dumps and they are barely louder but sound so sweet at WOT and nonexistant at idle (I can hear my elec. fan over the exhaust). oh yeah, and borlas can be had cheaply on ebay - I paid $75 each, compared to $150 each full retail. I'm so much happier with the borlas than the 3 chambers

just my $0.02

oh yeah, and not as much drone with the borlas as there was with the flows

I have the delta force with stock catted h-pipe & headers and let me tell you they are quiet. I'm going to replace the h-pipe with a prochamber to kick it up a notch or two in sound.

Has anyone heard delta force with shorty and prochamber h-pipe?