For those having trouble keeping it cool....

Blown4.6

Founding Member
Aug 19, 2002
Orlando, FL
I'm running a Howe Racing radiator (2 core aluminum) with my 351W. I'm using a 165 thermostat. Even with the cooler thermostat, I was seeing the following temps:

Highway: 170
Around Town: 190-210
Stop and Go: 210-225
Stop and Go with A/C: Fortget about it!!

I knew based on the above that it was all a matter of airflow through the radiator to wash the heat. I bolted on a 1/2 (3") shroud from Summit. It's flexible so you can kind of put it wherever you want. This took about 30 minutes.

Result: I can't get the water hotter than 190 at idle without air. With air, it tops out at about 205 even sitting in traffic.

What a difference! 6 blade fan, oversized aluminum radiator and shroud will solve anyone's cooling problems! :cheers: :cheers:

• Sponsors (?)

Interesting. I recently switched to the same Howe Rad, bought a 6 blade electric fan and added a high volume water pump. STILL overheating in stop go, even now while the weather is still cool. Hate to think how bad it could be this summer. My temp readings are the same as yours in the same conditions. Can a shroud make that much difference?? I guess I'll try. I don't know what else I could possibly do.

WarrenC said:
So, which shroud did you use? I saw 3 different brands at Summit. I might consider trying that.

To answer a couple questions:

1) Yes, a shroud will make that much of a difference IF your temps are cool while travelling 35 mph or faster, but go WAY up when you slow down or stop. This simply means that when you're moving, you're forcing air through the rad. which is grabbing heat and removing it from the water. When you've stopped, the fan is obviously pulling air around the radiator instead of pulling it through. This is particularly a problem when you run a big radiator (like Howe) because, there is more resistance (and air follows the path of least resistnce).

2) Shroud with electric fan: not needed because the electric fan usually comes with it's own shroud and the fan is VERY close to the radiator.

Also, the closer the fan is to the radiator, the better for slow speed or stop cooling. Again, this increases the difficulty of the air being pulled around the radiator.

:banana:

I have mentioned this in the past. Those of you with HP 65-66 Mustangs with a 17" radiator will always have a problem. You need at least a 20" from the 67-68 cars. You can just modify the core support. The ultimate way to go is just weld in the 67-68 core support, use 68 saddle brackets and use a 24" radiator and a dual flex-a-lite elec fan. It keeps mine cool as a cucumber in the Vegas heat!

DSCF0014.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF0014.JPG
    DSCF0014.JPG
    203.1 KB · Views: 66
mdjay said:
I have mentioned this in the past. Those of you with HP 65-66 Mustangs with a 17" radiator will always have a problem. You need at least a 20" from the 67-68 cars. You can just modify the core support. The ultimate way to go is just weld in the 67-68 core support, use 68 saddle brackets and use a 24" radiator and a dual flex-a-lite elec fan. It keeps mine cool as a cucumber in the Vegas heat!

That's a purty setup!! Nice!

FasterThenU72 said:
i thought if you ran an electric fan you didnt really need a fan shroud. But i KNOW that if you have a flex fan a shroud is a must, unless you live in russia, where youre worst enemy is nikita and the cold.....lol

Yes, I run a Howe with an electric fan and have not needed a shroud.

I will be glad to take on Nikita.....................

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com