? for those who converted auto to a stick

ram360

Founding Member
Oct 19, 2002
Pennsylvania
Since your car was origionally an auto and it doesn't have a neutral safety switch does the car start right up or is there something you have to bypass to make the car start w/ the manual trans? I'm going to use the dashboard fuse box harness from an 89 GT auto in my manual trans car and I'm wondering if the car isn't going to start w/ it since it's from an auto and I'm putting it into a stick? Someone told me the car will fire right up with the automatic wiring is this true? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I did the Swap. It was very easy. There is a plug under the dash that has a jumper in it already. In order for you to hook up a neutral saftey switch just pull out the jumper and plug in the saftey switch. You don't have to hook it up for the car to run but the car will start in gear if you do not hook up the neutral saftey switch. I got all of my stuff from a 4 cylinder at the junk yard (Pedal assembly, plugs, quadrant stuff) for $20. In the center console I got the rubber boot from Ford and the leather shift boot from a friend. The only things I had to do was to move the Spedometer cable into a different hole (It is in the hole that the clutch cable needs to go, you need to move it over to the empty hole with a rubber grommet on it that is just next to it.) If you look closley you can see a small dent where the hole needs to be drilled for the clutch cable bushing next to the hole. The only other thing I had to do was to cut the hole in the tranny tunnel a little bigger to fit the rubber boot for the shifter and drill the holes for the bolts for it.

Hope that helps you.