Ford OEM Oil Pump = EXPENSIVE!!

TheUser

Jul 25, 2003
Springfield, MO
I've heard of people having problems with Melling oil pumps, so I figured I'd call and get a quote on an OEM oil pump at a ford dealership. Autozone and O'Reilly want $15-16 for a Melling standard oil pump. After waiting on hold for 10 minutes, Jim informed me that the dealership charges $126.67 and they'd have to order it. Whoa!!

I guess I should have figured that since they wanted like $125 for 1 rotor and $8 for one water pump bolt before when I've called them. Holy cow!

• Sponsors (?)

Melling probably does make the Ford ones...I can't find another manufacturer who makes standard volume/pressure oil pumps from autozone, O'Reilly, or Summit.

I'm not sure whether I should get a new Melling or use the one I had (which worked fine). I'm not even sure what brand the one I have is - I assume stock, but the engine has been rebuilt, so who knows.

I use Melling pumps in all my builds, never had an issue...

If your pulling the motor apart, swap the oil pump it is cheap. If you have a aftermarket pan look at the HP series pumps, they have stronger cases which can take more load, all my aftermarket block based motors get these.

TheUser said:
I'm not sure whether I should get a new Melling or use the one I had (which worked fine). I'm not even sure what brand the one I have is - I assume stock, but the engine has been rebuilt, so who knows.

If you have the motor apart.. put a NEW oil pump in it! It's cheap insurance!

Gotcha Mav, thanks! My thoughts were since I've heard bad things about new melling pumps, and since my used pump was fine, I might be better off using a known good pump rather than an unknown quality new pump. Just because something is new does not mean it's 100%.

I had not found the standard volume Ford pump yet when I posted this. I think I'll go w/ the Ford Racing Standard volume pump. Thanks for the help guys and thanks for the summit link, 66mustang93!:nice: