Ford Racing 24#ers

superchamp5.0

Sep 23, 2015
I'm running a Explorer top end with the stock 19#ers from my 92 gt I have acquired a set of Ford Racing injectors blue top 24 pound my stock injectors are looking pretty rough and at least need new o'rings I'm thinking about making the swap to the 24 they are brand new.
I'm currently running the stock mass air meter and haven't upgraded it yet but when I do so I want to get the best meter for the 24#ers and was wondering about a chip is it worth pairing a chip for the injectors swap? I've read so much stuff and seen so many different opinions on this but a few more wouldn't hurt.I also have no EGR, and I've heard that is not exactly safe to run the car without it being tuned out. I find this hard to believe because I have no problems now but any info an outlook on this is much appreciated. I know there is no horsepower gain from swapping the injectors they only support horsepower but they are brand new and new injectors aren't exactly cheap so instead of buying a new set of 19 I was just going to use the 24's but after a meter and possibly a chip are they worth it? I do plan on some nitrous in the future I'm looking for at least 100 shot to the rear wheels that's another reason I'm looking at the swap

• Sponsors (?)

@A5literMan , he knows a thing or two about nitrous.

Regarding MAF and 24# injectors. Pro-M (pro flow) seem to be the most recommended and that's what I have used myself. Get one matched for the 24# injectors. What size TB do you have? I believe Explorers run 24# injectors so I don't see why you can't justify it as well. Why is your EGR removed? It doesn't really help you any to be without it.

explorers come with 19 pound injectors also I'm running a Explorer throttle body 65 millimeter and I have a delete plate that i run between the throttle body and intake instead of an EGR spacer. I know that the EGR is used in like the low and mid range at wide open throttle it doesn't come into play but I do show an EGR code due to the EGR not being plugged up and have read it can cause the computer to do some wacky things with timing and other stuffthat's why I was asking about getting the EGR tuned out altogether with the chip

The egr helps to keep the combustion chambers cool. Some intakes don't have a provision for the egr passages but the car must be tuned to delete it correctly.

Reactions: 1 user
explorers come with 19 pound injectors also I'm running a Explorer throttle body 65 millimeter and I have a delete plate that i run between the throttle body and intake instead of an EGR spacer. I know that the EGR is used in like the low and mid range at wide open throttle it doesn't come into play but I do show an EGR code due to the EGR not being plugged up and have read it can cause the computer to do some wacky things with timing and other stuffthat's why I was asking about getting the EGR tuned out altogether with the chip
You are correct, guess I was thinking Cobra or something. You'll still be fine running 24's or 19's. Going with the 24's now gives you room to grow if you ever get aluminum heads. Even the Trick Flow top end kits recommend 24's.

As far as EGR goes, here is some info on how the system works. I recommend reinstalling it but it's all up to you so long as you're informed.

Some basic theory to clarify how things work is in order…

EGR System theory and testing

Revised 29-Sep-2013 to add code definitions for EGR sensor and EVR regulator.

The EGR shuts off at Wide Open Throttle (WOT), so it has minimal effect on performance. The addition of exhaust gas drops combustion temperature, increases gas mileage and reduces the tendency of the engine to ping. It can also reduce HC emissions by reducing fuel consumption. The primary result of EGR usage is a reduction in NOx emissions. It does this by reducing the amount of air/fuel mixture that gets burned in the combustion process. Less air from the intake system means less air to mx with the fuel, so the computer leans out the fuel delivery calculations to balance things out. This reduces combustion temperature, and the creation of NOx gases. The reduced combustion temp reduces the tendency to ping.

The computer shuts down the EGR system when it detects WOT (Wide Open Throttle), so the effect on full throttle performance is too small to have any measurable negative effects.

The EGR system has a vacuum source (line from the intake manifold) that goes to the EVR, computer operated electronic vacuum regulator. The EVR is located on the back of the passenger side shock strut tower. The computer uses RPM, Load. and some other factors to tell the EVR to pass vacuum to open the EGR valve. The EGR valve and the passages in the heads and intake manifold route exhaust gas to the EGR spacer (throttle body spacer). The EGR sensor tells the computer how far the EGR valve is open. Then computer adjusts the signal sent to the EVR to hold, increase or decrease the vacuum. The computer adds spark advance to compensate for the recirculated gases and the slower rate they burn at.

The resistor packs used to fool the computer into turning off the CEL (Check Engine Light) off are a bad idea. All they really do is mess up the data the computer uses to calculate the correct air/fuel mixture. You can easily create problems that are difficult to pin down and fix.

egr-system-legal-size-paper-55-gif.51276

Troubleshooting:
There should be no vacuum at the EGR valve when at idle. If there is, the EVR (electronic vacuum regulator) mounted on the backside of the passenger side wheelwell is suspect. Check the vacuum line plumbing to make sure the previous owner didn’t cross the vacuum lines.

Diagram courtesy of Tmoss & Stang&2birds. (the diagram says 88 GT, but the EGR part is the same for 86-93 Mustangs)
88Stang5.0Vacuum.gif

The EGR sensor is basically a variable resistor, like the volume control on a radio. One end is 5 volt VREF power from the computer (red/orange wire). One end is computer signal ground (black/white), and the middle wire (brown/lt green) is the signal output from the EGR sensor. It is designed to always have some small voltage output from it anytime the ignition switch is the Run position. That way the computer knows the sensor & the wiring is OK. No voltage on computer pin 27 (brown/lt green wire) and the computer thinks the sensor is bad or the wire is broken and sets code 31. The voltage output can range from approximately .6-.85 volt. A defective or missing sensor will set codes 31 (EVP circuit below minimum voltage) or 32 ( EGR voltage below closed limit).

The EVR regulates vacuum to the EGR valve to maintain the correct amount of vacuum. The solenoid coil should measure 20-70 Ohms resistance. The regulator has a vacuum feed on the bottom which draws from the intake manifold. The other vacuum line is regulated vacuum going to the EGR valve. One side of the EVR electrical circuit is +12 volts anytime the ignition switch is in the run position. The other side of the electrical circuit is the ground path and is controlled by the computer. The computer switches the ground on and off to control the regulator solenoid. A defective EVR will set codes 33 (insufficient flow detected), 84 (EGR Vacuum Regulator failure – Broken vacuum lines, no +12 volts, regulator coil open circuit, missing EGR vacuum regulator.)

EGR test procedure courtesy of cjones

To check the EGR valve:
Bring the engine to normal temp.

Connect a vacuum pump to the EGR Valve or see the EGR test jig drawing below. Connnect the test jig or to directly to manifold vacuum.

Do not connect the EGR test jig to the EVR (Electronic Vacuum Regulator).

Apply 5in vacuum to the valve. Using the test jig, use your finger to vary the vacuum

If the engine stumbled or died then EGR Valve and passage(there is a passageway through the heads and intake) are good.

If the engine did NOT stumble or die then either the EGR Valve is bad and/or the passage is blocked.

If the engine stumbled, connect EGR test jig to the hose coming off of the EGR Valve.
Use your finger to cap the open port on the vacuum tee.
Snap throttle to 2500 RPM (remember snap the throttle don't hold it there).
Did the vacuum gauge show about 2-5 in vacuum?
If not the EVR has failed

EGR test jig
egr-test-jig-gif.58022

To test the computer and wiring to the computer, you can use a test light across the EVR wiring connectors and dump the codes. When you dump the codes, the computer does a self test that toggles every relay/actuator/solenoid on and off. When this happens, the test light will flicker. If the test light remains on the computer or the wiring is suspect.

To check the EVR to computer wiring, disconnect the EVR connector and connect one end of the Ohmmeter to the dark green wire EVR wiring. Remove the passenger side kick panel and use a 10 MM socket to remove the computer connector from the computer. Set the Ohmmeter to high range and connect the other ohmmeter lead to ground. You should see an infinite open circuit indication or a reading greater than 1 Meg Ohm. If you see less than 200 Ohms, the dark green wire has shorted to ground somewhere.

Someone say nitrous:)??
As far as your 24# debate goes...you can run them as long as you have a matching meter-and/or get a tune. You also can get the egr code removed with the tune. Do you just have the intake setup off an explorer and the stock mustang heads/cam at present? Or did you install the explorer heads also? Any plans of going further into the motor i.e. Cam/heads/etc? What specific nitrous questions do you have? I can offer more advise/opinions with some more details.

I have gt40p heads, trick flow stage 1 cam, and a bbk cold air intake off road h pipe MagnaFlow mufflers that's it for now
Hopefully nitrous in the future been looking at the Nitrous Express kit thank you for the EGR write up it's very informative I'm going to go with the 24 pound injectors, now just to buy a high dollar meter it's a damn shame that the meters are so expensive.

I have gt40p heads, trick flow stage 1 cam, and a bbk cold air intake off road h pipe MagnaFlow mufflers that's it for now
Hopefully nitrous in the future been looking at the Nitrous Express kit thank you for the EGR write up it's very informative I'm going to go with the 24 pound injectors, now just to buy a high dollar meter it's a damn shame that the meters are so expensive.
If/when you go nitrous and have any questions feel free to pm or just post it. Nitrous express has very nice equipment. Better than Zex and some of the cheaper brands. They are a wet kit design. They do offer a dry kit with an Anderson Ford PMS kit for a dry shot option. Don't go with the wet kit that runs a line before the throttle body. The 5.0 EFI intakes have a tendency to pool up fuel and can backfire(not good). Use their plate system if going with a wet kit. A dry kit system is the best/easiest option if wanting a simpler setup. You plumb a nitrous line in front of the throttle body and use(with some "tricks") the factory supplied fuel system to enrichen the mixture. I highly recommend staying at or below the 150hp jets. Above that and you're pushing the safe limits.

With the 150 dry kit do u need have a custom tune or can u just pull some timing and throw a couple gallons of 110 octane in the tank and be ok? The reason I was looking at the Nitrous Express kit is because their numbers are rated at the wheels and not the flywheel I want to be able to put at least 100 extra horsepower to the ground

No custom tune is needed. You can adjust your own "tune up". For a 150 hit make sure you are running 2 heat ranges colder on the spark plugs,drop timing to 8-10*(I would start at 8), and run good fuel. Doesn't need to be 100+ octane. I have run 10* on a 175 hit with a 50/50 mix of 93/100 octane fuel in the past. I'm not saying this is where I'd start though. Every car is a little different and that motor only had 30k miles on it. Raced an entire summer with that combo and even had an opportunity to buy that old car back last year. It's 22 years later and still rocking the same setup as I had in it. Previous owner did blow a head gasket once though. He didn't know why(I have my suspicions). That car(89lx hatch) had a completely stock motor/front suspension/t5 trans and ran 12.00's@117-118mph. The NX plate system is completely bad***! I'm 99% sure it's going on my car in the near future. The full plate with options will cost a lot(1400$) and bottle refills aren't cheap after awhile. Oh and one more thing-do not spray on the street with regular radial tires!! All you're going to do is blow the tires off and potentially hit the rev limiter!! DO NOT hit the rev limiter!!! This miniture breaks in ignition is a big deal when your cylinders are mixing nitrous. It will cause (umm blown head gaskets;) and or worse blow a hole through the piston=broke motor=:cry:)

Oh and my old car was a "sleeper" I had the kit semi-hidden(any real racer could figure it out but Iroc Z/corvette drivers where idiots). Even rocked the stock air box/shorty headers etc. it was fun busting guys at the track. Make a few high 13 sec passes and then a lot of guys would come a calling. Turn the bottle on and well gain as much as 1.5-1.8 seconds. But hustling guys back then was easy(and I lost a few also-there's always someone better at the "game") I miss those days lol.