Ford to bring back the 4 cylinder SVO Mustang

What nobody has said yet is that this EcoBoost technology can be applied to V-8s as well... No, my friends, the V-8 will live on. New technologies like direct injection and homogeneous charge compression ignition (hcci) will ensure that. The number of cylinders has almost nothing to do with the kind of fuel mileage an engine can produce.

Well, i wouldn't go that far. I know what you're getting at but obviously if you cut the number of cylinders in half then you should theoretically cut the fuel consumption in half...but of course there's a lot more to it than that.

• Sponsors (?)

True Dat! :nice: BUT, it sounds better then a modified 6 cylinder!

I beg to differ. A modded V6, such as my buddy's supercharged Tiburon GT, sounds like a Porsche. A four-banger, excluding perhaps the boxer (flat) fours, always sounds like a pissed-off hornet in a coffee can or a wet fart. (The boxer fours just sound like afour-stroke ATV on steroids to me. :shrug: )

I've got some kind of resonator on my Merkur..i don't know what brand but that's all...no mufflers, just straight pipe from the turbo to the resonator and i think it sounds pretty cool. The 2.3s have a real unique sound vs. other 4 cylinders, especially the turbo 2.3. It's a LONG way from a pissed off hornet or fart can sound.

View attachment 310170

Well, i wouldn't go that far. I know what you're getting at but obviously if you cut the number of cylinders in half then you should theoretically cut the fuel consumption in half...but of course there's a lot more to it than that.

Also, theoretically, a 4 cylinder engine can have the same displacement, power, and fuel consumption as an 8 cylinder. Its all in engine design. Both engines would have their advantages and disadvantages. It all would come down to personal preference, and the consumer prefers the V-8. Its only American!

I think if Ford ever completely stopped using V8s in the Mustang, that would be the end of the Mustang. But, i would still love to see an SVO'ish Mustang again. What i would like even more than that is to see them bring back the Merkur and do it right this time :D

My buddy used to own a SRT-4 and it was throaty and we also all agreed that sounded like a tractor. He was running it with an open down pipe and the drone on the highway was almost too much for me after a fourty min trip. :bang:

A Subaru sounds NOTHING like a Neon. I don't care how many horses it puts out, a Neon (turbo or not) almost ALWAYS sounds like a wet fart or a bumble bee in a coffee can because it's still an inline-four. I'll admit the Subaru flat-four actually has a decent sound to it, sort of a gurgle-growl that's more coarse and bubbly than the usual buzzy rasp of an inline-four.

I wonder if a direct-injected turbo four would sound any different than either of those? :scratch:

A Subaru sounds NOTHING like a Neon. I don't care how many horses it puts out, a Neon (turbo or not) almost ALWAYS sounds like a wet fart or a bumble bee in a coffee can because it's still an inline-four. I'll admit the Subaru flat-four actually has a decent sound to it, sort of a gurgle-growl that's more coarse and bubbly than the usual buzzy rasp of an inline-four.

I wonder if a direct-injected turbo four would sound any different than either of those? :scratch:

Yeah i have to agree...although i loath those cars with every thread of my being, they do sound pretty cool. Also a well modded Subaru sounds pretty cool for a 4 banger.

Dave we are serious, then maybe you havent heard a well modded one yet. I hate the fact that it sounds good, because Im all about the 8 cylinder beating the turbo 4!!

But it's fact, they sound really good!:shrug:

Doesn't the Mazda 3 have a direct injection 4 cylinder? I don't know about turbo but i heard they're pretty cool engines.

I've gotten really opened minded about turbo 4 cylinders since owning the Merkur. That car is surprisingly quick for what it is and with about 1200 in mods it'll put 300hp to the wheels with ease. That's hard to reach with a 5.0. I just couldn't get into a front wheel drive car no matter how fast it is.