Found 67’ AFX Mustang..

Hello.
I joined with the hopes of tracing the history on a car I just acquired. It is a 1967 Mustang AFX car that was built in 1969 and stored away since 1970.
The car was located in Chicago and has some documentation in regards to the Hilborn injection unit. The documents show that the unit was designed for a .30 over 289 sbf. Date of purchase for the injection system was. 3/21/1968 and it was sold to “Erickson’s Speed Center” in Downtown Chicago.
There is an original K-code close ratio 4-spd in the car currently with a 9”rear axle.

While the car is now in primer, it was said to have been painted a medium blue with silver paint accents on the panels.

The car is extremely original, and has a Shelby rear tail light panel and also functional Shelby side scoops. The VIN is long gone as the car was converted to a full square tube chassis with a straight front axle.
The interior is all aluminum and the engine is set back to the windshield. I’m not certain if the wheel base is modified yet as I haven’t made any measurements yet.

Any help of information from anyone who might remember this car from the Chicago area around 1969 or 1970 would be greatly appreciated..

-Thomas

Attachments

• 7C891C41-1034-497A-B4CE-310DCE720A81.jpeg
    7C891C41-1034-497A-B4CE-310DCE720A81.jpeg
    729.6 KB · Views: 325
  • 2EECB341-6631-4324-9B88-BE856E882CEB.png
    2EECB341-6631-4324-9B88-BE856E882CEB.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 380
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Nice score!
I'll move this over to the classic forums, also you my go to the hot rod magazine archives from around that time and possibly find something on it, look for articles from cars in the chicago area.

Wow fun to see, more pictures

Maybe try to find employees or owners of erickson speed center? What was the local drag strip at that time?
If it only ran one year might be hard to find info.

It’s proving terribly hard to find any information about this car....I have Randy DeLisio going thru his files and studying the pictures to see if he can match it up to anything or any particular builder.

The car was campaigned in the BFX or FF/X class because of the small block configuration. It may actually be a Shelby due to the rear tail light panel looking to be an original piece.

My main issue is that the VIN was cut out when the made the car a square tube frame.This would have made things much easier....

Reactions: 1 user
Contact Tasca Ford, try to talk to Bob Tasca, they are in Rhode Island, not sure if Sr. is still alive but he built afx mustangs but they were 65's. He may help. Also Holman Moody Racing, if you can find an 'old timer' there.