found a 351W...will it work?.. help quick

Bigstang1

Founding Member
Aug 28, 2002
Massachusettes
I was seaching the junkyard today with the info i got from my last post about id'ing 351's and came across a 351w in a 1990 bronco. Its a efi motor and they guy from the yard said he can probly start it cause it ran good when he got it two years ago but tthe body is trashed. My question is how good is this motor as far as 351s go? Can i use the distributer in this motor? it looks similar to the one in the stang. the guy wants $300 for it and he will remove it from the truck. Any info on this motor would be great and the sooner the better cause i dont wanna miss out it its a good deal. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I can't help you out with the Distributor question that you had, but if the guy wants to do all the hard work for you and is only going to charge 300... I'd pick it up.

(Assumption from here on out) Since the truck is a 1990, it will probably have the same electronics and equiment in it. I bet that most of the components will drop right in the stang.

Snag that motor. I paid 800 for my used 351w.

Plan on pulling the heads and checking the bores at a minimum. It would be best to just do a rebuild though. You never know what happened to a used motor, especially when the vehicle was wrecked. If he can start it first, have him do it. Realize that it could run pretty rough after sitting so long.

I think you found a great deal.

the dist should work. verify that you have the right drive gear on it for the cam you pick (if you even change it)

The 351w swap thread will answer alot of these questions

good luck

thanks for the info guys ...as for rebuilding i plan on going through the whole motor h/c/i. When you spoke of checking the bore should i do that b4 i buy it or after i get it home...do i not want it if its already beeen bored out say .030? o and one more question...this is a hyd flat tappet motor (non roller) correct? I hope it is because i kind of want to go solid flat tappet when i build it up. How often do u have to adjust the valves...i have heard every 3 oil changes but i could be wrong...sorry a lil off topic lol

Yeah that is a solid flat tappet motor, they didn't have the rollers out until '96. I personally wouldn't worry about the bore until you get it home, it'll prolly need a new hone anyway and if you decide to bore it you should wait until you get pistons anyway. Seems like a good deal to me too... I paid $400 for my block alone. Course it was race prepped already so I got a steal as far as I'm concerned. :D