Fox 1992 Steering column questions

tx65stanger

Aug 31, 2010
Austin, TX
I found a REALLY low mileage '92 LX convertible and couldn't resist buying it. But now i have a question: did these cars not come with tilt steering columns? I seem to recall that my '89 DID have a tilt wheel. This '92 wheel seems to be mounted really high and tilt would make it more comfortable. So here are some alternatives: (1) does anyone know if a tilt column is available aftermarket, (2) Did any Mustang model in '92 have a tilt column (perhaps the GT) where i could switch it out, (3) Can i install an '88 column and wheel (and therefore get rid of that nasty looking airbag steering wheel - yech!) or (4) did any Mustang model have a height adjustable seat so i can raise the seat to meet the as-installed height of the steering wheel? I know, lots of ideas/questions but i couldn't be the ONLY guy who is wondering all of this.
Thanks!!

• Sponsors (?)

Ya, plus you can put an aftermarket steering wheel on an 87-89 column as well. I don't think they make an adaptor for the air bag columns. So if you didn't like the 87-89 steering wheel, you could put a Grant or something along those lines in its place..

I think i'll try to find an '87 - '89 column and go that way. I assume it should be a pretty easy install. I think those steering wheels were reasonably attractive (much better than the ugly airbag one on the '92) and i also think they had cruise on the steering wheel. thanks y'all for your help!!