Fox Body Autocross Project

Warhorse Racing

Feb 10, 2019
United States
I was looking for a project during the offseason, so I decided it was time to get my 1992 GT back out on an autocross course.

It’s a 1-owner, 65k mile car that I’ve had since I was 16. This Mustang means a lot to me. I want to make it a competitive autocross car, but I don’t want to cut up a classic. That means making mods that can be easily undone.

Project ThoroughbRED is all about showing love to a Solid Rear Axle Mustang, making targeted improvements to see what it can do against cars with coil overs, IRS-swaps and massive tires, and helping other people who are looking to autocross their ponies without leaving permanent scars.

Here’s a link to the introduction to my video series…

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VwrBSePm9w

So far, I’ve posted 4 parts:

Part 1: PAST to PRESENT MODS, covers all the mods I previously made to the car.

Part 2: WEIGHT REDUCTION, details the parts I used to shed 142 lbs.

Part 3: SUSPENSION UPGRADES, shows how I got the weak links out of my suspension.

Part 4: HOW TO ADJUST YOUR AUTOCROSS SUSPENSION, provides a simple method for using adjustable struts & shocks and Steeda’s adjustable rear sway bar to get the most out of the suspension mods I’ve made.

There are also companion videos that share my INITIAL THOUGHTS & INSTALL TIPS for the mods.

I’ll post detailed real-world reviews after I’ve tested these parts on an autocross course.

Thanks for checking out the project. If you have any questions, please ask here or in the comments.

Reactions: 4 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I love your youtube channel, keep the vids coming. My 16 year old son and I are following your formula to build his '86 t-top into an autocross car. I'm also modifying my '68 mustang for autocrossing. We love your approach of doing common sense and inexpensive mods to get the results. I've always tried to teach my son that you can and will succeed with superior skill and knowledge - you don't necessarily need the super expensive parts to win.

We raced R/C cars for a time with that philosophy and dominated our local races with mostly stock stuff while other guys were spending hundreds on carbon fiber parts LOL. We spent all our time practicing driving and a little bit on a few sensible upgrades.

Thanks! I'm so happy to hear that the videos are helping people. It's especially nice to hear about a father-son project. I learned a lot from my dad when I first starting working on my Fox in 1992, and I still use a lot of the things he taught me. It's so cool to see families autocrossing together. Both of your cars are going to be a blast on an autocross course!

The most important modification on any autocross car is improving the part that touches the steering wheel. The Mustang aftermarket is amazing, but the fact that we CAN improve nearly every part on our cars makes people think we HAVE TO change every part to be competitive. I hope my cars and my channel are proving to people that any 79-04 Mustang can be a competitive autocross car.

I can really appreciate the success you have had with your '04 V6 Mustang. It's a great teaching example for my son about not following the herd. Do something different and do it well!

I'm really pleased with what my '04 V6 has been able to achieve. Part of the reason that car exists is to get people to think differently about their builds. Mass centralization is something many people don't consider when building their Mustangs for autocross. But, it makes a huge difference in how nimble the car can be.

I would like to see you post those videos here too, I don't get to the utube too much, I get sidetracked too easily

Here are links to the other videos in my Fox Body series…

Part 1: PAST to PRESENT MODS, covers all the mods I previously made to the car.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Vnp4YxEPw&t

Part 2: WEIGHT REDUCTION, details the parts I used to shed 142 lbs.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10cFbFXcpXE&t

Part 3: SUSPENSION UPGRADES, shows how I got the weak links out of my suspension.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXn_0QXo4vk&t

Part 4: HOW TO ADJUST YOUR AUTOCROSS SUSPENSION, provides a simple method for using adjustable struts & shocks and Steeda’s adjustable rear sway bar to get the most out of the suspension mods I’ve made.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HiS-t4_O_w&t

If you’d like me to post the INITIAL THOUGHTS & INSTALL TIPS videos for Parts 2 and 3, I can.

Thanks for checking out the videos!

Is it cat videos, squirrels or girls that side track you at youtube? I know folks that watch others playing video games, a lot. It seems that playing the game directly would be more fun.

Funny!! I find myself watching professional RC races on Utoob. Mesmerizing how well those guys can drive those things!!

Is it cat videos, squirrels or girls that side track you at youtube? I know folks that watch others playing video games, a lot. It seems that playing the game directly would be more fun.
Car crash and drag racing videos, although I must say I've gotten into road racing drivers view video.
And don't get me started with chicks on motorcycles!

I've done some autocross in my 2014....but I'd like to do it in my fox body (as well as some road course track days). Definitely going to be checking out your videos and keeping an eye on this thread. Thanks!