Fox Body Autocross Project

As an autocross instructor, I get to drive all sorts of Mustangs for my students. I've driven lots of s197 and s550 Mustangs; they are very good cars. When you get that Fox out on course, you will be amazed at how small it feels compared to the newer cars. You have more room to play with between elements and, with the right setup, you can gain an advantage over those newer cars.

I'm finishing up a video about tires and brakes. I'll post it here once it goes up on YouTube.

I'm not sure how much experience you have, but if you are interested in some Autocross Tips, there is a playlist of 4 videos on my channel: Attacking the Course, Eliminating Braking, Duration of Acceleration and Common Autocross Elements.

If you ever have any questions, please ask.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Nice! Sub'd as well. Looking to do something similar with my 87 GT vert. Not necessarily for competition, just to make it more fun for anyone behind the wheel. :)

I want to make the current car into an Auto X car, but need to pull the turbo off first, and I'm not ready for that!

It can be a lot of fun autocrossing a turbo car. Being able to time the hit, keep the car in boost, etc. will make you a master of throttle control. I've had some really fun runs in s550 Ecoboost cars. And some pretty impressive spins!

I want to get as many Mustang owners as possible interested in autocross. If people are finding my videos and channel helpful, I'd be happy to post my videos on the sticky and answer questions.
Ok, you already have a good following here, finagle the title, post some videos of track time runs and field questions. You could also do a 'tips and tricks' in a sticky at the top of the forums.
Like the Digital Tuning forum up there.

Ok, you already have a good following here, finagle the title, post some videos of track time runs and field questions. You could also do a 'tips and tricks' in a sticky at the top of the forums.
Like the Digital Tuning forum up there.

Am I allowed to create a sticky? Or is that something a forum administrator has to do? If I'm allowed to create one, I'll do an "intro to autocross" post and put my Autocross Tips videos in there to start it off. That might make it a little more accessible for people who don't know a lot about autocross.

Thanks! That supercharged IRS-swapped LX would be a fun autocross car!
It would be. AutoX class rules are complicated but I may just show up to one this season and see what they say. I hear they're a great group of people and it's a lot of fun. Another guy from my area has a 90' 5.0 with a KB supercharged 347 and he does a few autoX events a year and is trying to get me out there.

I still have a little rear steer with my IRS. I have adjustable toe link ends and sway bar end links from FTBR but I have yet to make any adjustments to them because I don't know how to yet.

It would be. AutoX class rules are complicated but I may just show up to one this season and see what they say. I hear they're a great group of people and it's a lot of fun. Another guy from my area has a 90' 5.0 with a KB supercharged 347 and he does a few autoX events a year and is trying to get me out there.

I still have a little rear steer with my IRS. I have adjustable toe link ends and sway bar end links from FTBR but I have yet to make any adjustments to them because I don't know how to yet.

The SCCA created the CAM Classes to get more cars like ours at events. CAM has very few rules (but they are important rules). Heavily-modified Mustangs up to 2004 go into CAM-T. CAM class cars must use 200TW tires. Due to the common mods most Mustang owners make, and the fact that most aren't running R-comp tires, CAM is usually the best fit.

There is a 1-page CAM Class rules sheet on the SCCA website.

FTBR sends a baseline rear bump steer setting for their toe links in the instructions. A good alignment shop should be able to adjust the rear toe on an IRS-swapped car. The settings will vary based on what the primary use of the car is.

As for the FTBR end links, you MUST make sure the car is on level ground and the suspension is under load (on all 4 tires). Check to make sure the sway bar is positioned away from any other components it might rotate into (I put a piece of foam tube insulation on the ends of the sway bar to space it about an inch away from the UCA). Extend the first end link so it can fit into the sway bar and the LCA with the eyes of the heim joints centered (not cocked to one side). It should slide into place with no resistance (no pressure on the end link). Adjust the other end link to fit into the other side with the eyes of the heim joints centered. That will ensure that you aren't transferring weight from one side of the car to the other.

FTBR has a video on their website that demonstrates the process. It seems complicated, but it's easy once you start doing it.

Reactions: 2 users
Here is Part 6 of my Fox Body Autocross Project series. ThoroughbRED is finally finished! This video shows how my 1992 Mustang GT did at the first autocross event of the season.

Thanks for following along as I set out to prove that it’s possible to make a Fox Body a competitive autocross car without cutting up a classic.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3HGcnscKdg&t

• Surprised
  • Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 6 users
Thank you! And thanks for subscribing.

Are you autocrossing those notchbacks?

If this darn virus BS ends, yes, I plan on going to local auto-x events with my 87, the 88 is all stock so it won't be as fun... my 87 has most of the max motorsport catalog under it, TFS top end kit, 4.10 gears, Z-spec T5 lol... more fun around corners. hehe