Fox Fox Body Frame Rust-- Scrap or Save?

• Sponsors(?)

Alldegree

Sep 14, 2019
Chicago
I kinda like that t-topped '85.
I do too, but I don’t know if I’ll be able to afford it by the time it sells. It’s been up for awhile though, and some parts of the paint are iffy, so maybe I can talk him down. The seller sent me some pictures:

AE4E5804-8A76-4C19-8C0C-B4B079D73919.jpeg
ED3347F0-9E22-4A92-BCB1-1158B00DD8F2.jpeg
86F4BC74-FF22-419F-AD9B-03928C7632FD.jpeg
B7124698-AD6E-4652-ADA7-48FC2ABD4C7D.jpeg

It looks really cool with the white letter tires as well, plus it’s an automatic so I don’t have to worry about blowing up anything if I decide to drive it home.

Mustang5L5

This is a big reason why I pulled it out
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
It's an automatic...it will sit for a while.

If you really want to get a good deal....look at automatic convertibles. They tend to sit and sell for cheaper than a hatch/coupe.

Potomus Pete

Mar 7, 2019
Sarasota Florida
By the time your done here you have the ability to negotiate with the wisdom learned here . You going to be good . Winter is coming maybe you will get a good garage car . The longer you wait the better . Look how many you have seen already . Im ready to see you haggle over common fox issues . Pray on it .

Reactions: Alldegree

Alldegree

Sep 14, 2019
Chicago
Well, the blue 91 mustang sold, so that's a bummer. I know the car wasn't perfect, but it had most of what I was looking for and I could have afforded it if it had lasted just a couple more days. I'm pretty gutted.

I just asked the seller of the 85 how firm he is on price and he said he is open to offers. I also asked if he could get some pictures of where the frame rails meet the shock towers, so we'll see.

Right now I'm between the blue 85 and the brown 91. I prefer the 85, to be honest, but I don't know if the seller will be willing to come down too far from 3900.

Last edited:

Gs87GT

Sep 25, 2019
Penn's Woods
Maybe you should just throttle back for the winter, save your money and look again in the spring? That way you'll have the cash to jump on one if you find one you really like. Just a thought. Dont buy one just to get one. You've been there/done that and don't need to make another mistake. Again just my thoughts.

Alldegree

Sep 14, 2019
Chicago
Maybe you should just throttle back for the winter, save your money and look again in the spring? That way you'll have the cash to jump on one if you find one you really like. Just a thought. Dont buy one just to get one. You've been there/done that and don't need to make another mistake. Again just my thoughts.
Yeah, I've been thinking that as well. If the blue 85 doesn't pan out, I think that's probably what I'm going to do. There aren't going to be too many local cars for sale pretty soon, and even if I get one now, I'll have about three to four weeks before I would have to garage it for the winter, and then I'd be paying insurance for a car I'm not driving.

I just can't believe the blue 91 was up for almost a month and I missed it by two days. It's very frustrating, but I'll get over it.

I don't think the seller of the 85 is going to be willing to drop to 3200, but he said he's open to offers. Maybe I'll get lucky and have something to work on a little bit for the winter. I have a heated garage space open, so that wouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: General karthief

Gs87GT

Sep 25, 2019
Penn's Woods
Yes but that's the way it goes sometimes. When that's happened to me, I just figured that was God showing me that wasn't the one for me. Good luck man. Hope something pans out for you. I know what it's like to want one. That was me this spring and then I found my GT. Something will eventually work out

My first fox body was an 86. LX t top 5 speed car. I loved that car so I get the attraction with the 85. Again, good luck bud!

Last edited: