Fox Fox Body Frame Rust-- Scrap or Save?

• Sponsors (?)

I kinda like that t-topped '85.

I do too, but I don’t know if I’ll be able to afford it by the time it sells. It’s been up for awhile though, and some parts of the paint are iffy, so maybe I can talk him down. The seller sent me some pictures:

AE4E5804-8A76-4C19-8C0C-B4B079D73919.jpeg
ED3347F0-9E22-4A92-BCB1-1158B00DD8F2.jpeg
86F4BC74-FF22-419F-AD9B-03928C7632FD.jpeg
B7124698-AD6E-4652-ADA7-48FC2ABD4C7D.jpeg

It looks really cool with the white letter tires as well, plus it’s an automatic so I don’t have to worry about blowing up anything if I decide to drive it home.

By the time your done here you have the ability to negotiate with the wisdom learned here . You going to be good . Winter is coming maybe you will get a good garage car . The longer you wait the better . Look how many you have seen already . Im ready to see you haggle over common fox issues . Pray on it .

Reactions: 1 user
Well, the blue 91 mustang sold, so that's a bummer. I know the car wasn't perfect, but it had most of what I was looking for and I could have afforded it if it had lasted just a couple more days. I'm pretty gutted.

I just asked the seller of the 85 how firm he is on price and he said he is open to offers. I also asked if he could get some pictures of where the frame rails meet the shock towers, so we'll see.

Right now I'm between the blue 85 and the brown 91. I prefer the 85, to be honest, but I don't know if the seller will be willing to come down too far from 3900.

Last edited:
Maybe you should just throttle back for the winter, save your money and look again in the spring? That way you'll have the cash to jump on one if you find one you really like. Just a thought. Dont buy one just to get one. You've been there/done that and don't need to make another mistake. Again just my thoughts.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Maybe you should just throttle back for the winter, save your money and look again in the spring? That way you'll have the cash to jump on one if you find one you really like. Just a thought. Dont buy one just to get one. You've been there/done that and don't need to make another mistake. Again just my thoughts.

Yeah, I've been thinking that as well. If the blue 85 doesn't pan out, I think that's probably what I'm going to do. There aren't going to be too many local cars for sale pretty soon, and even if I get one now, I'll have about three to four weeks before I would have to garage it for the winter, and then I'd be paying insurance for a car I'm not driving.

I just can't believe the blue 91 was up for almost a month and I missed it by two days. It's very frustrating, but I'll get over it.

I don't think the seller of the 85 is going to be willing to drop to 3200, but he said he's open to offers. Maybe I'll get lucky and have something to work on a little bit for the winter. I have a heated garage space open, so that wouldn't be a problem.

Yes but that's the way it goes sometimes. When that's happened to me, I just figured that was God showing me that wasn't the one for me. Good luck man. Hope something pans out for you. I know what it's like to want one. That was me this spring and then I found my GT. Something will eventually work out

My first fox body was an 86. LX t top 5 speed car. I loved that car so I get the attraction with the 85. Again, good luck bud!

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember when I was 16 I went to go look at a 5-spd 87GT with t-tops. Red Cabernet with grey tweed interior. Car was a little rough but I was in love with those t tops.

Brought my dad with me second time and he talked me out of buying it. I was bummed but he was right. On drive home, we drove right by an LX for sale and stopped to look at it - the very car I currently own today.

Things happen for a reason.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement, I really appreciate it. I’ve learned a lot from this site and the people on it, and I’ve been really surprised at how helpful everyone’s been. Usually on car forums you run into trolls and “holier than thou” types, it doesn’t look like that’s a problem here.

Anyway, I sent the seller of the 85 t-top a message last night to see if he’d consider an offer of 3200. I just told him I don’t want to waste his time asking for any more pictures and info if it turns out I can’t afford the car right now.

There’s an icon saying he saw the message, but he hasn’t replied, so I’m thinking I may have killed my chances on this one. I’ll let you guys know if that changes.

If I’m right and the t-top guy is done dealing with me, I’ve set a goal to have at least 6000 by March 1st and start looking with a vengeance after that. Hopefully the snow will have started to melt and cars will start coming on the market again.

Reminds me of when I was 18 and I was looking for my first real car . Not the one my mother got me that I destroyed after one month. Buick LeSabre heavy and not fun. The first car I saved and wanted bad . Cant remember what kind , but I would not sleep and it would consume me . I get that with my fox now at 55 . It happened with my Momo steering wheel . I knew it was going to be good , and it was!!!

T-top guy got back to me, he’ll take 3200. I have to go take a look at the car, but it’s looking good. Do you guys think it’s a good idea? I like the style, and it’s not so nice that I’d be afraid to do anything to it, and I’d have something to do for the winter.

Reactions: 1 users
Reminds me of when I was 18 and I was looking for my first real car . Not the one my mother got me that I destroyed after one month. Buick LeSabre heavy and not fun. The first car I saved and wanted bad . Cant remember what kind , but I would not sleep and it would consume me . I get that with my fox now at 55 . It happened with my Momo steering wheel . I knew it was going to be good , and it was!!!

I worry that this process is consuming me as well, kind of a “Moby Dick” kind of thing where I’m Captain Ahab and these cars are my white whale. I’m hoping the things I’m learning here and seeing how expensive everything is will help keep my head in the right place.

It’s funny, my Subaru is the first car I’ve driven, but technically my parents bought it for my sister and I when we were younger. It’s not unlike your Buick. It’s kind of fun, but it’s a family car, so its design is based mostly around comfort and safety, which is what made it the perfect first car. The first car I actually owned was the 85 that started this thread.

You’ll have to do your due diligence on the ‘85 but I think you have learned what to look for now.

‘85 automatics were CFI. Basically a carb with two fuel injectors in the bowl. They were also flat tappet cam, and rated at 180HP.

In other words, down the road when you want to build a nice motor for it, I’d start with an explorer 302 with a nice cam and a carb on top.

I was honest with the guy and said I'm still thinking about what I'm going to do and I'm not entirely sure if I'll even be able to make 3200. He told me that at this point, he just wants to move the car and to let him know what I can do. He also said he'd get me some pictures of the frame rails, so I'll probably have those tomorrow. Whether or not I even see the car hinges on my paycheck and how those frame rails look. Is the reason it hasn't sold yet because it's a CFI automatic? I'm pretty sure the car I had was the same setup. I would only be able to use a flat-tappet cam, right? I know there are top-end kits for these that look pretty good as a short-term thing.