Fox Fox Body Frame Rust-- Scrap or Save?

The t top car looks pretty good, but I will make this point. I had an 85 t top. It was fun....for a while. Then began the take out the tops. Stop for lunch put the tops back in. Take the tops back out. Starts to rain, pull over and tops back in. Rain stops, tops back out...you get the point. The idea of the t tops seemed much better than actually having t tops. Just something to think about. I like my convertibles. Push a switch, top goes down...

• Sponsors (?)

It looks promising from the pics I've seen. Good luck!

As far as the reason it hasn't sold - who knows? Maybe people are looking for something that they don't want to tinker with, it's not shiny enough, etc etc. As for the cam, I believe they are roller cams but I'm not entirely sure any more. In any event the car looks like an awesome starting point!

Open the doors and check the door jamb area really well. Check in front of the doors under the edges of the front fenders up top and near the bottom, that's an area prone to rust.

Also, get down on the ground and look under the car at the floor right under where the driver and passengers feet would be. Another area where rust tends to accumulate first.

Thanks guys, if it is a roller block, then upgrading it would be a lot simpler. How hard is switching to a carb? Is it as simple as slapping it onto the manifold and hooking up the tv cable and fuel lines?

I just got my paycheck and I contacted the seller to see if he’ll negotiate price a little more, since I’m going to need at least in-transit insurance before I can drive the car home. We’ll see what happens. If I have to wait, I’ll wait.

Intake manifold, and fuel. Fuel injected runs at a higher pressure than carb, but there are a few ways to tackle this.

'85 also originally had a unique exhaust. It's a 2 into 1 into 2 exhaust. It can be converted to the 86+ style with an h-pipe.

However, if you are looking to really dig into the car and modify everything, you might be better off sticking with an 87+ car. Slightly better starting point. That '85 is a cool car to restore and drive, but you'll have to spend money just to get it to where you would be starting off with an 87+ 5 liter

Reactions: 1 user
Intake manifold, and fuel. Fuel injected runs at a higher pressure than carb, but there are a few ways to tackle this.

'85 also originally had a unique exhaust. It's a 2 into 1 into 2 exhaust. It can be converted to the 86+ style with an h-pipe.

However, if you are looking to really dig into the car and modify everything, you might be better off sticking with an 87+ car. Slightly better starting point. That '85 is a cool car to restore and drive, but you'll have to spend money just to get it to where you would be starting off with an 87+ 5 liter

If that’s the case, then what about the brown car in Lafayette I posted? It’s not as nice as the 85, but it’s cheaper and a manual. The only problem I think I would have would be making the drive while not knowing how to drive stick.

Also, since the fuel lines for a cfi are made to withstand higher pressures, would I be able to reuse those?

I like the t-top car . It looks like you could clean it up a little . A company called...AutomotiveTouchUp paint makes spray kits , and custom makes all colors according to your vin# I used them to paint both bumpers on my car. They turned out like new . Primer, finish, and clear. Spray cans worked really well. If any of you people have ever used them speak up . That car could be cleaned up . How cool would you look with an old car with t-tops . Get a hot girl, and your set just like us....

There have been some developments with the t-top. Apparently the guy lost the keys and the car may not be as driveable as I had previously thought. He said he could trailer it for me, but I’m getting some bad vibes. It’s also been in interior storage for the past 6 years. I initially asked him if it would make it to crown point (my Grandmother's house is there, and I could keep it there until I can get it registered in Illinois) but he says he's not sure about Chicago.

However, he said his family owns a speed shop, and I looked it up online and it checks out. Got good reviews as well. I'm just really concerned about the "lost keys" thing. I know "lost keys" often means "it doesn't run but I don't want you to know that." He says he'll have the keys tomorrow though.

Six years in storage is a 'not going to drive very far' scenario. Not a deal breaker though. A family speed shop is a plus, don't want bad dealings blowing back on them.
call the speed shop and ask about the car.
has he given a 'back story' on the car?

Six years in storage is a 'not going to drive very far' scenario. Not a deal breaker though. A family speed shop is a plus, don't want bad dealings blowing back on them.
call the speed shop and ask about the car.
has he given a 'back story' on the car?

Apparently a customer had some outstanding expenses that he traded the car for.

I really need something I could drive back to Chicago, so if it's not going to get too far, it might be better to pass, I can't afford to have it towed that distance. I was planning on going to go look at the car with my Dad tomorrow, but I think I might see if I can go sometime during the week when the shop is open and it's not after hours, or next weekend if it's still up for sale, just to give myself a little more time to think about it and to see if I can get a friend that knows cars to come with. I also messaged the guy that bought my 85 in case he's heard anything about it.

It couldn't hurt to look (and my grandmother would be happy to see us) but Michigan City is a hike for a car that may or may not be able to make it back to my place.

• Agree
A family speed shop is a plus, don't want bad dealings blowing back on them.

When I talked to him over the phone, he said he would "back" it. I didn't know exactly what that meant or how important it was until I read your comment. If he and his shop are willing to vouch for it, I guess that's a good sign. I should also clarify that he said he would trailer it as far as Crown Point when I asked. I don't know if he would do it for free (I doubt it), but Crown Point is about equidistant from Chicago and Michigan City, so if the car will make it from Michigan City to Crown Point, it stands to reason that it could probably make it from Crown Point to the Northwest Suburbs.

The other thing is I don't know exactly what the car needs mechanically to be driven reliably.

U haul has car trailers pretty cheap if ya'll have a truck. They have car dollies even cheaper. The only issue with a dolly is mustangs are rear wheel drive so the driveshaft should be removed for long tows on the highway. It's only 4 12 point 12mm bolts...but you may need a transmission tail shaft plug to keep from leaving a fluid trail.

The 85 is probably a decent deal. You'd have to get to a meeting place and test drive it.

My advise would be to go all the way to his shop to check it out. When someone meets halfway it kinda puts pressure on you to buy it even if it's not completely up to your standards. Don't give him any money until the car is where you want it.

I'm sure you know that already. If he's going to take it to your grandmother's then pay him there for it.

Good luck. I always love t top cars. Its not hard to do most anything to a mustang. If you want to build this one I'd suggest getting a whole different engine....like a crate roller 306. Might as well get a nice rebuilt AOD too. If the engine is original to the car I'd cover it up and stash it somewhere. That car will be worth more in the future if the engine and trans are original numbers matching. If they aren't original the value will still go up...and nothing wrong with having back up parts.