Foxbody Id Motor

Egriffy

Jun 17, 2015
Hello all. I am new to this site (and Ford V8s for that matter) so please excuse my ignorance. I've spent the last few days searching online but have no definite answers to show for it so it's time to ask. First of all I'll tell you what I know. I recently bought my first foxbody, a '91 2.3 Mustang Lx (previously standard) that someone has haphazardly stabbed a 2 barrel 302/auto AOD into. From the block code located under the starter I know it's an '85 5.0 but that is about it. Really just wanting to know exactly what it is I have and if it is a good starting point for Lx/Gt build or if I should replace it. Unsure if it is a HO motor or even originally from a Mustang. The block code reads E5AEC3B with a large 22 cast above. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

The block code reads E5AEC3B .

It's an E5 block.

There was a revision in 1986 and 1987 so there are also E6 and E7 blocks, so the E5 block alludes to a 1985 5.0 which you already knew.

Beyond that...need more info. What heads are on it? Do figure this out unfortunately, you'd need to pull one. There are other clues we can use, but lets start out with photos. Do you have any?

Thank you for the info and speedy reply. Are E5 blocks worth their weight? As far as pictures go, I've got them. Under the valve cover on passenger side I believe it reads 3J14. Drivers side reads 3J20 and 8&5

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 176
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 160
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 146
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 197
Unfortunately the numbers that would be most helpful are underneath the head on the bottom side where the pushrods pass. The heads will either be E5. E6 or E7

However, one pic looks like a casting date stamp pointing to a 7. So 1987? Can't make it out too well

Hmm, Well I guess I will get around to pulling the heads once I have a reason to buy new gaskets for them. Until then, thank you for your help. I'll post back when I have new info.

It's been awhile since my last post but finally got around to pulling one the heads to see what she has. Found out it has a .030 bore. The under side of the head reads D80E AB. What does this tell me? 351 heads on a 302? Thanks

Last edited:
The d80E heads were both 302 and 351, just a typical smog head. They would be a wonderful head for a boosted application, no power gainer in any other application. And being a .30 over bore just makes a 306. A lot of power can be made from a well built 306.

Thank you for the info. Searching online had me believing I had 351 heads. Which wouldn't be a problem had I not just picked up an Edelbrock Perfomer RPM for a 302 lol. Is there any discernible way to know what this motor came from? I know it's a 5.0 flat tappet roller ready block w/ an AOD behind it. How can I confirm or rule out it being mustang motor? Knowing that will help me decide whether to keep or ditch the block.

D80E (D8 being '78?) heads wouldn't be what came on a E5AE block stock though, right? Really I'm just trying to piece together a decent 302 combo on a budget. Not really a powerhouse just something with a bit of torque. From researching I've come up with this:
650 Holley
Edelbrock Performer RPM
Better stock heads
shorty headers
Better cam
Good combo? Ive picked up a used Holley 4160 and Edelbrock RPM. For my wants do would you recommend getting gt40s or E7s or would what I already have be sufficient?

E7 have been a good head through the years but to step up to a gt40 head does have better flow. But a good seasoned head guy can port a set of e7 heads to out flow a set of heavily ported gt40s. But with the money that would be spent doing this is a waist. If your concern is with the motor and wanting a little more bottom grunt, I would highly consider looking into finding a very low mile explorer 5.0 and carbing it. You'll be impressed with the results. But at the same time looking for a 1995-96 f-250 351w and watch yourself with tire marks from the acceleration or just pure brake skids because of the brute torque of a bigger displacement

let me make a suggestion. FInd a 93-96 mountaineer or explorer V8 motor. It comes with the GT40 heads. intake, and a 65mm Throttle body, Change out the springs on the heads, the cam, the exhaust manifolds.. swap in your mustang distributor, pulleys, brackets, oil pan and pickup. etc. and you will have a motor that pulls about 260rwhp for under a grand. Those motors can be found in any junkyard and easily go 150000 miles.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Mike beat me to it. Swap in the cam and valve springs of your choice then install your intake. Sell the efi unit to make some money back. Easy 150 dollars right there.

Reactions: 1 user
Ha A complete (and only) 5.0 Mountaineer here in my local junkyard has had my mouth watering for quite some time. But them wanting $250 for the heads (gt40 / P, unsure) +pulling them has had me weary to check on the motor price