Foxbody values

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
Since used car prices are higher now, does that higher market value also apply to our Foxbody cars? Or are we still just a niche market for whatever it happens to be worth ?

• Sponsors (?)

I think we are niche.

Your average person looking for a new Explorer or F150 or Camry isn't cross-shopping fox bodies against those. When normalcy returns to the used car market, I still think fox bodies will stay where they are for now.

Sn95's are also creeping up into the same category....except for 96-98 GT's. :)

Reactions: 1 users
I peruse Fox Mustangs on Craigslist and Auto Trader pretty regularly and I think prices have gone up quite a bit the last year and a half or so. When I was shopping for mine in early 2020, I regularly found drivable examples for under $6,500. Now, the cheapest ones are rarely under $8,500 and I’ve seen some crazy prices just on rollers.

There have been some crazy prices for Fox Mustangs on the auction sites too (Bring a Trailer, Cars & Bids) but those are usually really low mileage examples. Not sure how that has impacted prices overall.

New Edge prices have been going up a lot too. Cars that would have sold for maybe $6k a few years ago - people are advertising them asking for $10k. High mileage ones too, in not so great shape.

I sold my '03 GT for $9500 with 67K miles back in 2009. I struggled to get that number so realistically it probably should have been an $8-8.5k car. Now for me to get the exact same car back in the same condition, same miles, etc would cost me well into the teens.

I still kick myself for selling that car.

• Sad
I sold my '03 GT for $9500 with 67K miles back in 2009. I struggled to get that number so realistically it probably should have been an $8-8.5k car. Now for me to get the exact same car back in the same condition, same miles, etc would cost me well into the teens.

I still kick myself for selling that car.
A friend of mine sold his 2002 GT (original owner) a few years back for what was probably a steal of a price. It had a solid built and tuned engine with a supercharger and some suspension mods. Tune was pretty mild so it was making around 450 whp but man it was fun to drive and sounded awesome. I wish I could have picked that up.

A friend of mine sold his 2002 GT (original owner) a few years back for what was probably a steal of a price. It had a solid built and tuned engine with a supercharger and some suspension mods. Tune was pretty mild so it was making around 450 whp but man it was fun to drive and sounded awesome. I wish I could have picked that up.

I had a friend trade in a single Hellion turbo 2000 GT on a mini-van. Got $7K for it if i recall.

• Surprised
Reactions: 1 user
Prices of all used cars have gone up due to the declining dollar, increased money supply, and lack of volume of new cars. The Values of Fox Bodies started to go up about 4 years or so ago when that Asshat from Gas Monkey started selling cars to himself at Barret Jackson. Since then prices on Fox Body cars have gone up 50 to 100% for decent or low mile cars. Rollers are now fetching $4k or more. You also have people that are buying and parting these cars out, as they are worth more in parts than as cars, further reducing the number of good ones available. I've been offered double or more what I paid for my 86 GT TTOP bought 4 years ago if that means anything= bought for $6k .

I would say what I always say- buy the best, cleanest, car you can afford as it will end up costing you less in the long run, unless you are planning on gutting it or doing a complete drivetrain, swap. These cars are 30+ years old and many parts are getting hard to find, which brings us back to why some of us have storage units/garages full of parts.

• Agree
Crazy prices on older Tacomas. My 99 Prerunner that I bought for 10k twenty years ago is worth almost ten grand now. Same with my 99 Wrangler. It's going up, and up. Give it five more years, and our cars prices will really firm up nice. I know at least five or six people here in Sarasota that have foxbodys in their garages that just sit there. Like they don't even know why they own them.

I know at least five or six people here in Sarasota that have foxbodys in their garages that just sit there. Like they don't even know why they own them.

I know of folks like that here as well. Most I don’t even know personally. I just know of where I’ve seen foxbodies in a garage when driving by. My neighbor on the next street (don’t know him) has a pretty nice one that hasn’t left the garage in the 6 years I’ve lived here.

Then again, folks who drive by and see mine in the garage never move would probably say the same thing. I have well under 1k miles in the last 6 years. Most of that is just lack of time and other priorities (family)

I don’t know aboit you guys, but I’ve been chased down and asked about selling before. I’m personally not a fan of it.

There is a 93 Cobra in my area that has sat on the side of this guys house during the 13 years Ive lived there. I went to his house and asked him if he'd sell it 5-6 years ago and he told me no way. This car has never moved, and I dont see this guy ever getting around to it.

I daily drive a 2000 Tacoma V6 4x4 and that thing has a clean retail value of $16,500, crazy. The only reason I am aware of this is we had one come through the body shop in the fall. Just like my truck similar mileage, 230k. We wrote the estimate, $8k, figured it was a total loss. We had to run a value on it (for total loss purposes) though our estimating system and it came back just over $16,000. Insane for a 20 year old vehicle.

There is a 93 Cobra in my area that has sat on the side of this guys house during the 13 years Ive lived there. I went to his house and asked him if he'd sell it 5-6 years ago and he told me no way. This car has never moved, and I dont see this guy ever getting around to it.

I daily drive a 2000 Tacoma V6 4x4 and that thing has a clean retail value of $16,500, crazy. The only reason I am aware of this is we had one come through the body shop in the fall. Just like my truck similar mileage, 230k. We wrote the estimate, $8k, figured it was a total loss. We had to run a value on it (for total loss purposes) though our estimating system and it came back just over $16,000. Insane for a 20 year old vehicle.
My nephew took my brothers 2011 Tacoma out to pick up dinner. Two cars crashed and one careened off into my brothers truck as my nephew was sitting at a light. Driver front fender damage, both airbags went off, and I’m sure several other things. He got over 23k from the insurance company!!!!
Moral of the story....... you want to hold your value...... buy a Toyota!

• Agree
Everyone has a theory except the fundamentals. Supply and demand. Retro is desirable and always was. Motors are a particularly unique 'asset' in their expression of life / interests / cultural expression and blah blah. I'm sure there's reasons we prefer Foxes to S2000s and vis-a-versa?

S2000s are becoming quite collectible in this current sweep too!

With legislation worldwide literally mandating the ICE out of existence anything remotely desirable with an ICE engine is subject to supply and demand. Motors again unique in that they take themselves out of service through user neglect. Dwindles all the numbers again!

The UK has law to end sales of petrol and diesel by 2030, with hybrids phased out by 2035. So anyone who wants anything old and ICE is buying now, especially with all this time sat around without else much to do in the past year or so too for a lot of folk! Why not cars!

There is a website in the Uk to see all the road legal registered examples of a car still left in the country.
Some of the car's my old folks had down the years are down in the <20-30 registered kind of figures.

Cars of ~'80 to '05 are all ripe for interest from drivers all looking to get thirty completely different things out of their motoring, in my opinion!

Some of us like sound deadening.. some of us like to hear the pings off the floor plan too..

I think we are in an odd time for foxbodies. Lots of young guys got a fox 2-5 years ago for 3 grand are seeing the prices of low miles well done cars go for top dollar and think their high miles pos with a maaco paint job is worth 18K. I have been watching the market like a hawk the last year, and I can tell you that asking prices are way way up but sales prices are only up some.

I think we are in an odd time for foxbodies. Lots of young guys got a fox 2-5 years ago for 3 grand are seeing the prices of low miles well done cars go for top dollar and think their high miles pos with a maaco paint job is worth 18K. I have been watching the market like a hawk the last year, and I can tell you that asking prices are way way up but sales prices are only up some.

This is why when looking at prices eBay is nice to have with its 'completed auctions' so you can see if any of these dumb cars are going for their dumb money! I guess there must be lots sold of Foxes sold on Facebook from what I see posted around? I'm not familiar with if that has a way to see the completed sales too!

Either way I don't think dumb people thinking their dumb cars are awesome but then other dumbs feeling the same way and actually paying the asking price is any recent phenomena though! That's gone down in the car scene for as long as I can think back and I'm sure farther :rlaugh::jester:

Then they drive all around the place in the thing asking everyone the rhetorical question of "Well good, innit..?"

I would say what I always say- buy the best, cleanest, car you can afford as it will end up costing you less in the long run, unless you are planning on gutting it or doing a complete drivetrain, swap. These cars are 30+ years old and many parts are getting hard to find, which brings us back to why some of us have storage units/garages full of parts.

I have collected a few parts over the years, would have loved to have had the foresight to buy stuff like the tubular GT-40 manifolds and other parts that shot up in value.

I bought my 91 vert almost 4 years ago for $6.6k. The motor is mostly stock but I've been doing a lot of maintenance and dressing up/painting parts in the engine bay. I upgraded the water pump, radiator, hoses, all fluids changed, full tune up, new timing chains, new suspension and an x-pipe exhaust, new speakers and I made sure every button and fuse functions. I still need to do the seals for the top and maybe new headlights, also the front window motors might need to be changed int he future.

I'm sure I've dumped about $4-5K into it, so there's no way I'd let it go for under $15k right now with 121k miles. Old cars need to be maintained and that isn't cheap and it takes lots of time...I now know why values are getting higher on the old cars.