Frankenstang

ponyboy762

Jan 21, 2004
I've got a little more than a slight problem. The 89 coupe I bought from someone who should NOT remain nameless was miss matched like you wouldn't believe. The motor is out of an 86 GT, which is completely stock except for the pistons and the cam(I thought the cam is one of the last upgrades for the motor). The car was a steel at 2,500, so I figured why not. When I take off from the line it has the power of a VW bug until I hit about 2,600 rpms, then it finally starts to plant me in the seat. That's when a friend told me about this web site and I learned the difference between speed density and mass air. After doing some research I replaced the computor, the main engine harness and a list of sensors that adds up to alot of money. The car runs better now bt it still doesn't have the power it should at low rpms. Then I learned that the heads on an 86 GT aren't as good as the stock heads that come with a mass air 5.0. Is this stupid combo the reason or should I give up and start from scratch? Please give me any Ideas, cheap ones if at all possible. Thanx.

• Sponsors (?)

does it have gears? having a cam with a powerband that doesnt start till late in the rpm range is useless unless the gears in the car can get the rpms up fast. check to see what gears you have. or just say screw it and get some 3.73's. but yes, the stock heads on an 86 are not the best heads. save up and get some heads...even ported e7 heads would be good depending on the cam