Friend has 2 engines, which one 2 use??

SmockDoiley

Jun 14, 2003
San Diego, CA
So my friend has a 65 Falcon with a crappy 7 cylinder 289 in it. He has his dad send him a 50k mile 302 from a 79, and a bare block to use for a 350 stroker(40 over). The plan was to drop in the 302 to pep up the car and get it running reliably while getting the 350 built up. Well, he is done building the 302, but he took his time and now the 350 short block is done too. I told him instead of dropping in the 302 with E7TE's, and then dropping in the 350 later with AFR's, he should just drop in the 350 with E7TE's and then the AFR's when he has the money. Of course he never listens to me. I figure since the 350 is ready just install it now with stock heads since he drives like a puss, and you cant rev it out anyways while it is breaking in. He says it would be dumb to waste a stroker with stock heads, but I think its dumb to spend twice as much install time removing and replacing 2 engines as opposed to one. Especially since the 302 was to just get the car running well while waiting for the 350 to be bought and assembled by the machine shop anyways. What do you think about this? Would you guys still install the 302, then the 350 later with AFR's? Or would you install the 350 now since its done, break it in and cruise it, then bolt the AFR's on when you get em? Also, he wants to use AFR 185s for the power, but he wants to use a Holley 500 since he wont be driving it hard or revving it high. Does that sound stupid to you? I told him if your going to use a weak ass carb then just get a pair of standard TrickFlows or GT40P's with a 600. Why waste the power and range of 185's on a 500 CFM carbed idler cruise engine. That wont even be streetable with that combo!! Sorry about the ranting but this hypocritical "hot rodding" friend of mine is driving me crazy and I want to see if he's crazy or I am. Thanks, Scot Rod :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Well I am going to hope that isw a 351 but anyway, Tell him to put in the 302, it is interesting to put a 500cfm carb on a perfomance motor. That should drop the power back to where he could just bolt on the stock heads. AFR 185's are serious heads and with that stroker motor he is going to require a well tuned 750. I am not sure what that motor is going to be stroked to, there are several kits available. Really kind asounds like somebody is a little lost...

sounds like a self defeating combo he has going on, the e7's will outflow that carb let alone a set of afr's. if he put in a small cam thats even more asinine, the afr's will probably make a power loss that way. slap some sense into him will ya. no your not crazy

Well of course its not a 351, its a 350. It should last forever though because he shifts at like 2000 rpms and wont get on it because it may break something. I told him, dont build the engine then if your afraid of breaking something. Thats what racing is all about. I'm kinda hoping he does get a 500 for it so I can see how a 350 runs with 185's and a 500 Holley. And when it does run poorly I can be there to say I told you so. It wont be for awhile though since he is going to Iraq in Feb.