front bumber paint chips

i baught my 00 mustang in november of 02 and since getting it the front bumber has developed about 200 little chips like a milimeter wide and it wasnt bad enough to tell until i waxed it the other day and now i have about 200 little white dots on the front of my car. i took it to ford the other day for a oil change and i got to talking with some guys that was touching up the paint on a BEAUTIFUL 00 Cobra R and he said that the bumper had probably been repainted with a 1 stage paint(top coat and paint mixed) and that it was from bugs sitting on my paint. he said that the bugs juices or whatever eat through the top coat. but i dont know if it was repainted or if anyone else is experiencing this. So has anyone else experienced this problem?

• Sponsors (?)

It happens to all cars. Single stage paint or base/clear coat.
Its virtually unavoidable unless you have a bra(unadvisable) or don't drive your car. I found that meguiars wax hides the nicks in paint well, but in a few days they will be right back. If you look closely and can see a base clear on your car, you can lightly sand it with the 1000 grit sand paper, tape off your front end, and use duplicolor clear spray in the can, works great. Let it dry for about 10 12 hours before you drive it(depending on humidity and temp), and after 36 to 48 hours, buff it(use wizards or 3M rubbing compound). Will look as good as new for about 25 bucks in materials. Be patient when spraying, light coats, and if you have a heat lamp or those high power halogens that put out some heat, you can do like me and have the job done in 12 hours. I'm impatient and always heat dry my projects, otherwise i would get my fingers in them. LOL :rlaugh:

stealthpony said:
i waxed my car with meguires and it left a bunch of little white wax marks in where the chips were.
yeah. like i said, they usually come right back. If you used turtle wax or kit wax it would be even worse then it looks now though. The best way to solve it it just follow the steps i put above. :nice: