Fox Front bumper Absorbers

kendawg73

Feb 5, 2014
So at some point in the cars history, the front bumper took a little push... as you can see the drivers side (pass side is fine) bumper mount on the rad support was pushed in a little and angled down a bit....

this has been about the past 6 years I've had it apart... getting to point of re-assemble, so I pulled the front absorbers off today and I'm assuming the front part that bolts to the fiberglass inner part the bumper cover goes over shouldn't be on an angle like that in the pics... so looks like I need to source (2) used absorbers (anyone have a set the want to sell) .

I can't pull that part of the rad support out, but I was able to bend up the mount face to kinda make it more level (2nd pic, block of wood and hit with 3lb hammer)... so my thought is since it's back a little 1/2"-1" I can just get longer bolts and make some spacers (to fit between the absorber mount and that mount) to make the absourbers stick out the same. The bumper looked fine before I took car apart.. so I guess since the outer cover just kinds goes over it it, there is some wiggle room on fitment, but I want to get it close to normal as possible. This sound alike a plan

20191002_152723.jpg
20191005_132106.jpg
20191005_132337.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

NpD Has the 87-89 bars available NOS for $70 each. Not sure what years yours is

Looks like it’s only the sliding insert part.

DB572F39-2536-4A5E-B0FE-BE8B0F496B6C.jpeg
Mine is a '90, 90-93 they are different then the pre-90's
The pre 90's are only bolted to the rad support via the round hole on the end, that a bolt goes through one side of frame rail into a spring clip. The 90'-93 (they still have that hole, but it is not used) as u see in my pic, it has that collar about 3-4" back from the big end that the bumper insert bolts to. The rad support has the mount sticking out 3" or so also, where the prr-90's are flat.

I found these on ebay, looks like that company made them to take the place of the absorbers, so u lose that feature of them...

Do they have any shock absorption ability or just all welded steel?
From the pic looks like no absorption, looks like it would just be this part I circled in red on my stock ones... which bolt to rad support and bumper, of course if u look at mine the ends bent and donlt look like they pushed in at all like they should have
20191006_110832.jpg

There are areas where things are made to collapse, check the frame rail area between the shock tower and the radiator support, more noticeably the frame rail to shock tower, I would measure both sides to see if they are same. Or at least close.

There are areas where things are made to collapse, check the frame rail area between the shock tower and the radiator support, more noticeably the frame rail to shock tower, I would measure both sides to see if they are same. Or at least close.
I did awhile back, everything is fine, only that drivers side mount on the rad support pushed in a little... which the absorber should of collapsed, but didnt...

Reactions: 1 user
I had "kinda" the same issue with my '91, with both bent in towards the center. I didn't discover it until I tore it down for body work.

IMG_0016a.jpg

If these aren't aligned properly you'll never get the bumper to bolt to the isolators properly. This leads to fighting the front bumper cover to align properly....which can be enough of a pain with perfectly good stuff!

My isolators had been replaced by the PO but they jury rigged the bolts for the bumper so they could attach it. I bit the bullet and took the car to a friend with a frame machine and had them jacked back into place. While it was on the machine they were able to check and make sure everything was in proper alignment with the frame...just in case. Everything bolted up and aligned properly after that. As I'm sure you've noticed the pockets for the isolators are spot welded to the frame. The upside is they can bend and leave the frame itself undamaged. Good luck with it.

so it's the drivers side one that was pushed in a little... I got the tape measure out and did some checking... and long story short... the drivers side seems to be about 1/2" longer....WTF... any chance this was normal??? for the drives side to be about 1/2" longer

I would think that any impact should push them back into the car slightly? no?

Never dissected one ot figure out how it "absorbs" but I thought they were somewhat replaceable. Problem is replaceements are not available

I would think that any impact should push them back into the car slightly? no?

Never dissected one ot figure out how it "absorbs" but I thought they were somewhat replaceable. Problem is replacements are not available

right, but no... there not pushed in at all..the absorbers, even though they were bent down on the front plate... But I got perfect replacements now anyway...eBay to the rescue) what I mean.. if I measure on the car... for example, I have the hood hinges out, I measure from there to the front of the core.. measured same spot on both sides, and I'm showing like 1/2" longer on the drivers side...

20190714_063313.jpg

When measuring like this I like to use a fabric tailors measuring tape...with tape at opposite end. It's easier for me that way. Some folks just use string and measure the string. If all this stuff is straight then you are good to go. If not a frame shop may be in order.