front dash speaker question??

Hi

I just installed a new alpine radio in and changed out the rear speakers, door speakers and the front dash speakers.

I put a new set of alpine R 6 1/2" door speakers with a tweeter, I put a set of mtx full range 3 1/2" speakers in the dash with a 20mm pei tweeter.

My question is ,should I not have dash speakers because my door speakesr have a tweeter, and if so do I just unplug the harness from the dash or do I have to rewire something? Or should I put a dash speaker in without a tweeter, if so what do you suggest?

I have bypassed the stock amp under the seat and I am not using any aftermarket amp,I put an inline Alpine ktp-445 mini amp that plugs into the radio and puts out 45 watts.

I think I read on here that some people disconnected the dash speakers if they had a door speaker with a tweeter? It did seem to sound better with the dash speakers though.

Thanks for any info!

• Sponsors (?)

Are you using the factory speaker wiring?

If so, the door and dash speakers are wired in parallel. So wiring two 4 ohm speakers in parallel may damage your amp or radio. The factory installs 600Hz bass blockers on the dash speakers to reduce their power draw...basically the 80s version of a tweeter.

Best bet is doors with the tweeters in the dash, but if you want to keep the dash full range speakers, put a bass blocker on it.

Are you using the factory speaker wiring?

If so, the door and dash speakers are wired in parallel. So wiring two 4 ohm speakers in parallel may damage your amp or radio. The factory installs 600Hz bass blockers on the dash speakers to reduce their power draw...basically the 80s version of a tweeter.

Best bet is doors with the tweeters in the dash, but if you want to keep the dash full range speakers, put a bass blocker on it.

i did use the factory speaker wiring, I already custom fitted the 6 1/2" door speakers with the tweeters in them, so I am hoping to keep these. Should I just get the bass blockers for the MTX dash speakers I bought , or should I be putting a different speaker in the dash with no tweter, if so any suggestions on a dash speaker?

Thank You

I would keep the tweeters in the dash. Those little speakers mounts aren't really good for anything else. If you're running them parallel, install a 1 watt 2 ohm resistor inline with each dash speaker along with the bass blockers mentioned above.

Just leave it alone.

The 2ohm resistance that the front speakers are showing to the radio isn't going to hurt anything. Most aftermarket radios have a fair amount of forgiveness when it comes to that.

Having the tweeter in the dash will help with staging and provide a better quality of sound. With the tweeters in the door speakers you are not going to hear them because of the position and direction of the sound wave.

If it sounds good now, don't mess.

And to let you know I am MECP, been doing audio for to long. Now I have a stupid loud stereo in my Daily and only listen to Fox News Radio on Sirius....

I just returned the 4 ohm mtx speakers and ordered a pair of infinity 2 ohm front speakers with some 800 hz bass blockers from crutchfield.

Thanks for the help guys!

Actually, a 2 ohm speaker is worse.

With parallel wiring schemes, the load on the amp is reduced as more speakers are added.

Single 4 ohm speaker = 4 ohm load

Two 4 ohm speakers = 2 ohm load

4 ohm plus 2 ohm speakers = 1.3ohm load

The lower the load, the more power the amp/radio outputs and the closer to the danger zone you get.

This is why the factory setup uses two 6 ohm speakers in the door and dash giving 3 ohms total.

I've been doing car audio for a long time too and if I were you, I'd put the MTX dash speakers back in, keep the door speakers and remove the rear speakers. I'd run all four of them off the head unit with bass blockers installed. (run new wires for each, don't use the factory wires ) Then I'd put a reasonably priced 200 watt mono amp under the drivers seat and use it to power a 10" sub in a small box in the rear hatch area. That set up is going to sound 100 times better than what you are trying to do now and you always have the option to easily remove the sub box when you're at the track or need to haul something big back there. Just my 2 cents.