Front Main Crank Seal...Labor Cost?

Hey guys I was just wondering how much you think it would be?...I currently dont have a place to do the work since the parents are going through a divorce. So I will need to have a shop do it. I believe it is the front main because it is leaking right behind the harmonic balancer and i think I somehow screwed it up when putting my harmonic balancer on.

Then I would also like to know how much a rear main seal would be to replace?...I dont know if this is actually leaking because I didnt lift up the car yet but it looks like a possiblilty.

Thanks,

Dan

• Sponsors (?)

The RMS is gonna cost a grip. The FMS, if done with the TC on the car, shouldnt be as outrageous. When you did the balancer, you were about right there. I don't know book on that stuff though.

One thing: ensure your PCV is up to par. If it isnt, the front and RMS are the first places the excess crankcase pressure starts to vent.

Is meeting with a local stang club member and workin on it at his house (for a nominal fee or pizza/beverages) possible?

Good luck.

I think I have a place to do the front main but I am still kind of weary about doing the rear main by myself. I have read if you dont put it in exactly the correct way that it will still leak.

I also came to the conclusion that I think I am going to stop putting money into my car since it is basically a money pit. I will be selling some of the stuff i have laying around even though it is nothing major...I might be able to get a couple hundred to start saving for a newer car.

I was thinking of keeping this car and then saving up for a decently quick 4cyl just to get better gas mileage. WRXs seem to be an ideal car.

I think I have a place to do the front main but I am still kind of weary about doing the rear main by myself. I have read if you dont put it in exactly the correct way that it will still leak.

I also came to the conclusion that I think I am going to stop putting money into my car since it is basically a money pit. I will be selling some of the stuff i have laying around even though it is nothing major...I might be able to get a couple hundred to start saving for a newer car.

I was thinking of keeping this car and then saving up for a decently quick 4cyl just to get better gas mileage. WRXs seem to be an ideal car.

If the RMS is not leaking enough to drip just let it go... :D

As for the FMS, it should be pretty easy. I think it is just pull the HB, pull the seal and swap it.

So how do you guys get the front seal off w/o pulling the timing cover? I just bought a new one and I had to tap in .....***** I think I put mine in backwards....:nonono:

And yes I did just realize this as I was typing.:bang:

You install the wide end of the front cover seal on the outside of the timing cover.

You'll need to remove the stock fan/clutch assembly if I recall, and rent a harmonic balancer pulley (after you take off the belt and balancer pulley) and remove the balancer. Then pry the old seal out and tap a new one in (lightly oil it), and reverse the disassembly procedures.

Sometimes when a 'new' rear main is installed, it can make it worse:( It usually occurs on higher mileage engines. It could run you $2-300 dollars for a rear main seal, or more...just depends on the shop. All for a $10 dollar gasket.

FWIW, Ford makes a front seal removal tool. It looks a bit like a bearing splitter as I recall.

I worded my first post the way I did because the pot metal TC scares me.

I worded my first post the way I did because the pot metal TC scares me.

:stupid:

I replaced mine on the bench after I yanked the engine, and that was a bit nerve racking driving the new seal into an unsupported cast piece... definitely going to do it on the engine next time. I'd also recommend a light film of RTV around the ring before you start to install it into the cover. Mine seeps a bit because I didn't do that and I regret it now. :bang:

Scott