Front Spindle Bearing Questions

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
My 1991 Mustang came with an extra pair of 96 SN95 front spindles and hubs. I also have a pair of loaded 94 SN95 spindles with the correctly bent steering arm ends that I will eventually use for bigger, 5 lug brakes.

The questions - are the hubs (with the front wheel bearings) the same, and can I save the extra set in a HD zip loc bag for later use?
What is the torque spec and installation procedure for SN 95 front wheel bearings?
Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, they are all the same, 94-04. The ABS and non-ABS hubs will interchange, and these days most replacements are ABS equipped anyway.

Install is pretty straight forward. I just did one of these on my Fox. I used an impact to zip the old nut off. (or breaker bar plus pipe if no impact) Ford specs the nuts are one time use only, and you must use a new nut. I purchased a new nut. You just slip the new hub on, put the nut on, and torque to 190-250 ft-lbs. Put the dust cap on and you are done.

Once you get the rotor off, it's literally a 10 min job.

I actually intend to replace the other side just for the hell of it.

Torque spec on the front wheel bearing is 3 braps with the impact set to 4 (You need to reserve the 5 setting for being able to remove them later if you have to).

Kurt