Front suspension

golf4283

May 30, 2003
Orland Park, Illinois
Ok so I know there are like a million posts about front coilover and strut suspensions, but I am just curious what everyone recommends? Price is not a major issue but is in the factoring of my purchase. I just really have no idea where to start looking at this. I know I want a newer setup and don't want to just rebuild the original. I will probably need something with a spindle because I have converted to granada brakes and want bigger brakes.

Thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't really like most coil over setups. Do you want coil overs just because they look cool or something ? There are other options that work GREAT and cost way less.

What are you going to use the car for ?

The only suspension setups that free up space in the engine bay are the ones that remove the shock towers (like an MII setup). You can also try geting a notching kit. Either way you are in for major work in the entire engine bay. I don't think its worth the trouble IMO.

Is this a 65/66 ?

Fatman, has 2 setups now, one is a MII and then there is this madness:
http://www.fatmanfab.com/catalogpage.php?page=22

I wouldn't use it. You have a 66 with a 351w. Ya it is a little tight in the engine bay but do you really think it is worth the time and expense to install some crazy kit like this ? The install on that front member has gota be hellish. This isn't something you will be able to do in a weekend.

My adivce is to just deal with the engine bay you have and spend your money on a suspension setup that will help your car handle the way you want it to. Creating extra room for the 351w shouldn't be a goal of the suspension setup, geting the car to drive the way you want it to should.

That is just my opinion. If you really think it is worth the time, effort and expense to install a kit like that then please let us all know how it drives when you are done.

I would like to suguest the CPP setup but I can't just yet. I should be geting my car back from them either this week or next week. They said they were done with it. Otherwise I'd say go with some Opentracker stuff. I just don't like the coil over stuff because of the way they load up the shock towers.

another few questions

I am looking for a rack and pinion setup too and was wondering what everyone recommends. I want a power setup.

I also am curious as to what I should do about the spindle and brakes to run. I currently have granada spindles but wouldn't mind getting some better brakes. I don't know too much about the spindles to use etc and what will bolt onto what.

P.S. I plan on running hedman longtubes and a mustangsteve cable clutch conversion with a T-5. All hooked up to a 351W So all of this hopefully taken into consideration what should I go with.

I really like that suspension setup and am gonna order it asap

R&P is another thing a lot of people do that I'm not a big fan of. My main gripe with is is the increase in turning radius. Some say it isn't that bad and others say it is bad but the ease of the steering system makes up for it.

The kits that I've heard feedback on are:
Randals Rack
TCP
Steeroids

I think the most economical for installing it yourself is the Randals Rack. The main negative thing I've heard about them is that they don't have good instructions for installing the U-Joints and maybe they needed to supply 1 extra in the kit ? I can't remember for sure.

Remember, you need to put new outer tie rods in when you put in the R&P because it doesn't replace those. Maybe you should check to see what parts of the steering linkage are bad first. It might be cheap to fix and you may be happy with it.

Why do you want R&P ?

I would suggest looking at the CPP (classic performance products) unit also, It is basically bolt on and eliminates the strut rod for improved handlng. You do have to remove the original strut rod brackets. They also offer various brake setups and R&P

i'd go with either Randall's or TCP for the rack kit don't even think about flaming river, they have the absolute worst rack kit in the world....total junk. if you want a decent manual rack the look at the unisteer piece, it seem to get really good feedback and they also just came out with a power rack too i believe.

we're still waiting on Rusty67 to get his car back from CPP to see how that kit performs but so far i like what i see, however it won't allow you to cut the tower back much if at all.

ron morris also has a coilover conversion kit that seems to get good reviews but i don't much care for their control arms, personally.