Front sway bar size oddity?

Monkeybutt2000

Mustang Master
Aug 11, 2019
Lafayette,IN
Ordered the MM sway bar relocation kit for my 89 lx,along with new bushings and end links. Got everything in and the bushings were to big. On LMRs sizing guide,there is no choice for an LX. I wrongly assumed that 5.0s were all the same size and ordered 1-5/16. So,went out and measured and I have an 1-1/8 bar. Is that right? Looks like 93 Cobras came with that size.

• Sponsors (?)

Original V8 car? If it is a swapped 4 cylinder that could explain it or they grabbed 4 cylinder sway bar and installed it or thought a Cobra bar would be better than a standard V8 bar. Regardless if you want it to work call MM and see what they recommend with the current suspicion that’s under it.

Original V8 car? If it is a swapped 4 cylinder that could explain it or they grabbed 4 cylinder sway bar and installed it or thought a Cobra bar would be better than a standard V8 bar. Regardless if you want it to work call MM and see what they recommend with the current suspicion that’s under it.
OG 5.0 car. Right now I'm having a problem with the relocation kit fitting. Waiting to hear back on that.

Sooo,I made a really dumb mistake. To clarify,I hadn't seen the sway bar for my car in several years. So when I pulled it out of the shed and tried to fit it on my car,it was not the right sway bar. What? It was the sway bar from my Tacoma. I was really confused for several minutes trying to figure out how this bar ever worked,well obviously it didn't. My Fox sway bar ended up being at my buddies shop. So in the end the relocation brackets and the correct sway bar are now on my car.

Reactions: 1 users
93 Cobras, SVOs and pre-84 V8s used the 1 1/8” bar up front.

According to what I read, the 93 Cobra's smaller front stabilizer bar (1-1/8", vs the GT's 1.30") was engineered that way in order "to increase the suspension system's compliance and improve everyday ride quality". Another section mentions that the 93 Cobra having wider tires than the GT had a role in the stabilizer bar design.

Regarding SVO's, I'm seeing info they actually had a 1.20" front bar all 3 years.