Suspension Front Sway Bar/stabilizer Bar Bushing Brackets

Benz510

Feb 19, 2016
Oakland California
Hey Stangnet.

Just installed my MM Adjustable clutch cable and firewall adjuster. When i went under the car i noticed that the front passenger sway bar bushing bracket was broken and the actual bushing was missing. I have checked everwhere for the bracket alone and had no luck. I've checked ebay and they have some for a 91-93 fox body. I was wondering if it makes a difference being that my car is a 89 GT. I would have thought that these brackets would be the same from 88-93 on the foxbodys. Does anyone know?

I guess my swaybar is 33mm.

Thanks,
Ben

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

As many times as this comes up, I wonder about having my brackets reinforced now. Has anyone done this preventatively??? (I already bent the stock bolts.)

The bushing and top bracket are easy to replace. The omega shaped bushing top piece bracket usually has slotted bolt holes for different applications. When I got Poly Graphite bushings, I do not think they asked for just the year, but also bar size. An accurate diameter is better as the bars get switched and there were many options over the years.

Is there enough of your base to beat/squeeze back into shape and have welded? Then weld it and reinforce the other side. Duplicating a functional part should be easy, but a bit expensive if you have them do the fabrication. You need a riser, (not just a bushing to bolt to the subframe), and one the same height on each side. The risers give the bar clearance to the pan etc. if you do not have enough of the base left, I would order a pair for the closest year and see how close they are.

But with all the Mustang parts places on eBay, and salvage yards that have computers networked, there is a correct pair with your car's name out there. The factory quick assembly plastic nut holders will be shot. New grade 8 nuts are cheap insurance, and Vice Grips fit any shape nut if you reuse the stock oddballs after pulling off the old plastic.

@Benz510 the brackets are the same....the bushings that go in the brackets have different sizes over the years. 4cyl and v8 are the same... all years to 93 for sure.