Front Wheel Bearings, how hard to change?

Blev

Aug 17, 2003
So. Cal. V-Town
It looks like my driver side front wheel bearings are giong out. I get a creeking sound when I apply the brakes and if I pull on the wheel it has a small amount of play. The other side doesn't, and that's all I can think it can be. Has anyone else had this happen before? Is that what it is? I know it's hard to tell without seeing the car but that's all I can think of. If this has happened to you, you know what I'm talking about. So how hard is it to change the bearings?

• Sponsors (?)

Blev said:
It looks like my driver side front wheel bearings are giong out. I get a creeking sound when I apply the brakes and if I pull on the wheel it has a small amount of play. The other side doesn't, and that's all I can think it can be. Has anyone else had this happen before? Is that what it is? I know it's hard to tell without seeing the car but that's all I can think of. If this has happened to you, you know what I'm talking about. So how hard is it to change the bearings?

Easiest way to check your wheel bearings is.. take the top of the tire and try to move it(with some effort) in and out. Pushing towards the car and pulling away from. If there is any play or movement the bearings are done.

twogts4us said:
Sounds like ties rod ends and/or ball joints.
Funny you mention that. I found my Chilton book and in bold it says not to confuse ball joint looseness with bearing looseness. I'm on my way to my buddies right now and we are going to take a look. I hope that something is just loose from from we did the suspension and it's not the bearings. Those mofo's cost 70 bucks for ONE side.

changed the bearing, all is gravy now. Spent 3 hours trying to find the damn socket, driving around town on a HUGE shopping day but it's done. Creek is gone and have a new torque wrench and socket in my tool collection :)