Fuel Gauge Or Sending Unit?

stykthyn

I want to measure mine. It doesn't look that tall.
15 Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
gainesville
alright true believers. My fuel guage would read pegged out above the F mark and fall down to about an 1/8 when the gas level got low. This was always my cue to have a gas station in sight. Well lately it has stopped even giving me that courtesy so I ordered a new sending unit from LMR and installed it this morning. Fuel gauge is still pegged out above the F even if I manually move the float by hand. Is it possible for the guage to go bad? I know the anti slosh modules crap out and I dont believe that they make a replacement for the 87-90 cars, but even if that was toast the needle would just bounce as the gas swished around the tank. I got nothing. Am I looking at a new cluster?

• Sponsors (?)

edit. pulled the anti slosh module and noticed it was a little loose. cleaned the contacts and reinstalled and now the needle is reading the empty tank that its supposed to. will report back when I get it all put back together and have gas in the tank. hopefully this was the only issue.

Yes the gauge itself can go bad. Pony R Parts sell a anti slosh module for our earlier year cars but they are kinda pricey.

Only way I could test these gauges is to smell the coil windings. Any burnt smell is a clue it is bad. Wire is to small and delicate to get a reading with a meter.

I had a issue with my fuel gauge ended up being the gauge itself.

Update. The anti slosh module is hosed as well. Inclines and corners send the needle shooting to the top of the gauge. Restarting the car will bring the needle back down. I found directions from @jrichker On how to rebuild it with parts from radio shack so I will try that first.

Update. The anti slosh module is hosed as well. Inclines and corners send the needle shooting to the top of the gauge. Restarting the car will bring the needle back down. I found directions from @jrichker On how to rebuild it with parts from radio shack so I will try that first.

While you're at it inspect the large solder pads where the spring contacts are connected to the circuit board. You might find hairline cracks in the solder connection and you might have to re-flow the solder to restore a good connection.