Fuel Leak Help...

tomcamaro97

Jun 17, 2015
so ive got a fuel leak i could use some advice on.., here goes..

ive got an 89 gt and the fuel return line is leaking just infront of the tank, where the flexible hi pressue plastic line clips onto the metal fuel line , so im guessing that metal line has some rust , and the seal is not good, causing said leak.

one of my buddies recommended cutting off the femael plastic fitting and the male metal one as well, and using a metal barb to add more of that high pressue plastic fuel line stuff to mount to the metal line.. just not sure how that would seat to the smooth metal line?? i could flare it and use a hose clamp.. but that seems kinda hokey.

i dont really feel like replacing the whole line for just that fitting.

any thoughts on how to go to a flat metal line from that plastic stuff without that duckbill fuel fitting in place?

• Sponsors (?)

problem is fixed.. to post this out there for the next guy, i found 2 ways to sovle the problem.. both in the help section of my local parts store.. way one would be a new line with a fitting on the end, then use a std compression fitting to join it to the old line. way two , would be to cut the whole connection off from both sides, use a barb on the plastic stuff, to add more plastic line.. then a special compression fitting that goes metal to plastic..

ultimately my fix was much more simple.... i should have known given everything the previous owner touched was done wrong... he had done work on the gas tank, and he didnt fully seat this connection, so i took it apart, clened it, and fully inserted the line, and no more leak..

Reactions: 1 user