Fuel line HELP! Hardlines to braided

gearheadboy

15 Year Member
Jan 15, 2003
Greencastle Pa
Long story short someone rigged my fuel lines on this car I bought. Cut the plastic lines off at the metal lines near the RF frame rail. Pics included as to what I have and what I am trying to do. I don't care where it happens but I want to cut off the steel lines and adapt them to braided or something SAFE. I cam e up with the fitting to braided MESS you will see pictured. Any other ideas? I just want it fixed and for less then the price of a complete fuel system. HELP!!!

• Sponsors (?)

the only thing to do is to cut the rib/ lip from the factory fuel lines off and install a brass compression fitting on the stock lines connecting to your braided line

I don't like the idea of compression fittings on fuel..maybe I'm silly. I have come up with cutting the hard lines under the car off and flaring the ends. Then adding the adapters to AN fittings. However now that I assembled all the pieces for the job I realized that I am unable to run -6AN braided for both lines. It seems that there is no adapter for 1/4" (the small one) to -6AN. Looks like I'm screwed again. I really don't wanna put an external tank pump on at this point and buy the sender for external pump. And I don't wanna sump the tank yet either. I just want it fixed and to be able to pass tech at the track.

You will need to run some new fuel feed lines or braided hose. The 3/8" aluminum tubing works well, but you will need a flaring tool and bending springs to fabricate the lines. Braided hose is easy to run and route, but is much more expensive. It is about $3.50-$4.00 a foot plus the end fittings, which are $3-$4 each. Fabricating hose assembles can be difficult, but anyplace that makes hydraulic hoses can do it for you for an extra charge. See Amazon Hose - Rubber, Hydraulic and Industrial Hose - since 1919 for more information.

For stainless steel braided hose and fittings for automotive use:

See SummitRacing.com

For more fittings, see Search Results for Russell Fuel Rail Fitting Adapters - SummitRacing.com

stainless steel hose - JEGS High Performance

See Eaton's Aeroquip Products for more information on High performance automotive hose products

The fancy red & blue AN fittings require a 37 degree flaring tool. A standard automotive or household plumbing tool is 45 degrees and cannot be used with AN flare fittings. If you do, the flare is subjected to too much stress when the fitting is tightened, and is likely to fail or leak.

See Industrial Supply Equipment from MSC Industrial Supply , McMaster-Carr or for the flaring tool you will need . Prices start at $81 and go up

Browse the MSC Big Book
View attachment 205248

McMaster-Carr

2721ap1s.gif

Recommended fix for leak proof high quality repair:

If I remember correctly, the pressure feed line is 5/16 and the return is 3/8". Be sure to measure it before you order any fittings or hose.

1.) Obtain the required 37 degree flaring tool.
2.) Use a tubing cutter to cut off the old tubing ends so that you have at least 1 1/2" of clean steel tubing. Remove the burrs and clean up the ends of the tubing to prepare them to be flared.
4.) Slide the flare nuts and sleeves on the tubing., make sure they will move freely.
5.) Flare the steel tubing with the 37 degree flaring tool.
6.) Measure the length of hose needed to connect the flared metal tubing.
7.) Either make the hose assemblies yourself or have the local hydraulic repair shop do it for you.