Fuel Line Leak

CarFreakGT

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
May 26, 2003
Louisville, KY
Probably a stupid question for those more savvy than me, but here goes. I have a 91 GT with a fuel line leak just below the passenger seat. I got the front of the car up today, and can see a hose connecting the hard line where it passes under the passenger seat.

My question is if this is a safe way to repair it, or am I in for a full hard line replacement? I have done a search, and saw mixed reviews. It's about 3-4" of tube connecting the hard line. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated. TIA

Bryan 91 Fuel Line Leak 1.JPG
91 Fuel Line Leak 1.JPG
91 Fuel Line Leak 1.JPG

Attachments

• 91 Fuel Line Leak 2.JPG
    91 Fuel Line Leak 2.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 183
  • Sponsors (?)

I can't tell if that is the pressure or return line. If its a return hose you would be ok, as long as the hose is fuel line. Pressure line, buy two compression fittings and a piece of line and replace the section.

Reactions: 1 user
rubber hose is not an ideal repair but if you use a fuel injection hose and fuel injection clamps it can get you by in a pinch.
I for one am not a fan of compression fittings either. The proper fix in my opinion will have you flaring both ends of good tubing and piecing it back together with a new section. You can find all the pieces that you need to fix this properly with the brake line fittings/tubing in any auto parts store. A double flare will not be necessary like brake lines, a single flare will do in this instance.

Best of luck on the repair. If/when you do fix this please post pictures of the repair so that this may help someone in a similar situation in the future.

Reactions: 1 user
On the pressure line, if the ends are not flared, I have been told the hose can slide off, even when clamped. This goes for tranny lines too. Gas or oil squirting everywhere is bad news. At least get compression fittings, but I like the flare fittings idea better too.

Thank you, everyone, for your input. I will keep you posted on the repair, but I also figure that I'll have more questions along the way.

84Ttop - I will be happy to post pics when completed.

Thanks again, all.

The proper fix in my opinion will have you flaring both ends of good tubing and piecing it back together with a new section. You can find all the pieces that you need to fix this properly with the brake line fittings/tubing in any auto parts store. A double flare will not be necessary like brake lines, a single flare will do in this instance.

In flaring the tubing, and piecing it back together, would nylon fuel line be appropriate? Or, other material? TIA

I would prefer to see steel fuel line unless you wanted to flare and adapter that would let you use the high pressure push lock style nylon hose