Fuel pump not working - Pump, Control Relay or something else?

bhuff30

Founding Member
Dec 11, 2001
Olathe KS
I went out to the car this morning and got a no start condition. The starter spins (and quickly), but it doesn't show any fire. If I turn the key, while pushing the fuel rail valve down, there is no fuel pressure at all.

How can I diagnosis if the problem is the pump or the CCRM (is that what it is called?). Also, I would need to know what tools would be required to replace the bad component since I am 200 miles away from my tools.

The car worked flawlessly yesterday, and I even drove it about 200 miles. It had over a quarter tank of gas when parked for the night, but doesn't start today.

Thanks,
Brian

• Sponsors (?)

The gold standard way to begin fuel pump diagnosis is with the IFS switch in the trunk. With the key on, test for +12 volts out of the IFS.

If no voltage, focus on the Fuse, CCRM, or ignition.

If voltage, focus down stream towards the fuel pump itself.

Post the results and go from there.

Thanks Burns.

I checked the fuse and inertia switch, both were in-tact. After some research, I realized that the 97 doesn't have a complicated controller... it is still a simple returnless system. Since I was without all my tools, and I already have 2 voltmeters at home, I decided to take a chance and replace the pump.

The pump is in and all is well now. It was a rather uncomfortable install with only the scissor jack, a flat head screwdriver, a cheap 3/8" socket set and 105F temps... but she is running again. I sure hope I don't have to do that again for another 192k miles....