FUEL PUMP PROBLEMS

BOLOGNA PONY

Apr 30, 2008
i have a 1990 mustang 5.0. the car's motor has been shutting completely off while ive been driving down the street (all other electrical still working) and wouldnt turn on from anywhere between 20 sec-4min. i was told it could be the fuel filter and/or the fuel pump so i changed them both out with a new filter and pump about a month ago. car seemed be be doing fine so i thought the problem was fixed.

recently it started doing the same thing so i took out and replaced the pump again since it was still under warranty. also changed the fuel filter again just to be on the safe side and its still turning off on me.

any ideas?? this car is a daily driver so i need this fixed asap or my job can be on the line. please help.

• Sponsors (?)

Test for spark the next time it happens. There's a decent chance that it's something like the TFI or PIP.

FWIW, fuel restrictions dont subside as a function of time.

i changed the tfi module, dizzy cap/rotor and spark plug cables with new msd brand about nine months ago. after the fuel pump went out last month i replaced the tfi module with a new factory replacement.

i let the car sit idling and waited for it to turn off. i tried starting it to make sure it wouldnt start. i then tested for spark today by removing the spark plug wire from the tfi module and it had spark. but i then put the spark plug wire back on and it started back up...

what is the PIP? i can try changing that if i knew what it was.

There is no spark plug wire that attaches to the TFI module. I only mention this so we know we're talking about the same parts.

The above-test is invalid because it started immediately after the test. You'd need to confirm spark after it won't start and before it restarts.

The PIP is inside the distributor. It's far easier to test its function than replace the part.