Fuel smell

rusqtsi

Aug 8, 1999
Texas
Hoping someone could shed some light on how to fix this problem.

Fox with terminator swap. Car runs great except the fuel smell. Tune has been checked 2x. It’s not running rich nor lean.

No visible exhaust leaks. XPipe with no cats.

Using the 2004 cobra fuel tank with new stainless fuel line. Checked the lines and they are clean no leaks. I also checked the 3 seals on the tank.

Wife says she can smell the fuel as i drive down the road. Clothes smell like fuel afterwards.

I do not have the evap lines connected but I do have the original fox charcoal canister.

I have a feeling to fix my issue I must connect this back. But the 04 cobra and the original fox had an electronic switch along with the charcoal canister as OEM.

How do I get this connected back into this car sans the electronic switch? Can I just run a line from the gas tank to the canister? Originally I think they way it’s supposed to work is to have the fumes sent back to the engine. Confused about this part.

Or is my issue the lack of cats?

Thanks for your help

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Hi,
Sounds like a fun Project. All the way down to the 6 Speed & the F.I.?
Though I don’t believe it’s your issue..Yes. an odor may be produced from unburnt fuel when going Catless (Not your everyday RICH fuel odor, this one..reeks).
Honestly, you will not realize any gains of significance running Catless.
Whether that is/is not your problem, you really need a positive vacuum to vent those fuel vapors. You don’t need an entire Evap system to achieve this. (This is more likely your issue, as described- causes a lingering raw fuel smell).
It’s not difficult to setup a system that will function, really should from both Safety and Performance standpoints.
So....Any extra details will help..
1) You're running the entire 04’ Cobra OBD-2 harness?
2) What Yr. Fox do you have & was it a 5.0, or an I-4 Car?
3) Running the Cobra Tank, the Canister mentioned come from the Fox ?
4) Are you running an EGR?
Once you list a bit more info, should be able make something like below work..
Connect line from the tank to the larger nipple on the Can., a purge valve with it’s lower nipple to the small nipple on the can, the middle nipple to manifold vacuum, to the EGR with the top nipple to actuate the purge valve.
I’d viewed the diagram, cutting out in-necessary & adding what’s required. Once I get addt’l. info., can go from there.
It won’t gobble up any HP, no worries.
- John

+1 on above. Sounds like a cool project but more information would help us to help you.
It’s not running rich nor lean.
I would like to know HOW you know it's not running rich or lean?

Are you looking at the Long Term Fuel Trims (LTFT) values? Or is there a separate AF gauge installed?

I don't see any other way for your clothes to smell like fuel other than the motor is running pig rich short of an exhaust leak directly into the passenger's compartment.