Gas has bad smell Horrible Smell

Creomod

5 Year Member
Sep 14, 2018
San Antonio,Texas
Ok guys I have a BIG issue.I was going to put some oil in a pretty fresh rebuilt 302.I have driven it but had pulled it,had a valve job done new rockers yada yada,no heat cycle yet with these head gaskets.I havent turned it on.I was barley getting oil in before I set timming but before I did that I pulled drain plug from oil pan and I think gas came out of the pan!Like maybe half a can of soda worth.I belive it to be gas cuz I overtightened new set of russell fuel lines.I was wiring gauges and i smelled a horrible smell I looked under car and noticed the gas was comming out the fuel line blue nut area.The gas smelled horribe.I assumed it was OLD gas but then when I was going to put motor oil in it today I noticed same smell.It came out from the pan.SO HERE IS MY QUESTION.Could a "STUCK OPEN" Injector cause oil in the gas lines?Or Is it just old horrible gas that happen to leak into the oil pan and thats why they are both the same smelly stuff?

• Sponsors (?)

A bad injector would not let oil into the gas lines under any normal circumstance. I can only see that if your intake manifold is pressurized with oil, and that would be beyond catastrophic.

See if you can get a siphon sample or at least a whiff of the fuel in the tank. If it has set a while without Stabil, the tank probably needs drained and flushed. Then you can work forwards through the lines and filter towards the injectors.
Edit, if an injector is stuck open or leaking, there is no need to run crud and bad fuel through he other seven.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
A bad injector would not let oil into the gas lines under any normal circumstance. I can only see that if your intake manifold is pressurized with oil, and that would be beyond catastrophic.

See if you can get a siphon sample or at least a whiff of the fuel in the tank. If it has set a while without Stabil, the tank probably needs drained and flushed. Then you can work forwards through the lines and filter towards the injectors.
Edit, if an injector is stuck open or leaking, there is no need to run crud and bad fuel through he other seven.
To flush the tank I assume Id have to drop it and drain it Right?As for the injector being bad I cleaned them using a battery and carb fluid and soaked them in injector cleaner.I noticed I has the fuel vaccume line that goes from regulator to vaccum tree and i had it on the wrong vaccume tree part.It has three 2 little one buig I had it one the wrond little one.Could that cause this issue or I flooded the engine normal,or its a bad leaking injector?And How did it get mixed in the first place?The upper intake has no oil running in it its a trick flow.

Last edited:
I do not know where this went, so sorry if it shows up again. If the girl is just stale, rather than turning to varnish and is filthy, Jrichker has a write up on how to drain it by the Scrtader valve in the injector rails, and which terminal to jump power to to run the pump. Unless the tank is rusty or full of dirt, this and then a new filter are often sufficient.

If you need to drop it and have it cleaned at a radiator shop, you still will want the Heavy fuel out first.

What I was trying to get across before is that it is nearly impossible to get oil in the fuel lines from the engine end. The bad smell in the oil pan and fuel line is likely the same bad gas. If there is oil in the fuel, it almost absolutely had to come from the tank end, either by sabotage or adding something like a Marvel Mystery Oil. I do not remember fresh and unburned two cycle fuel oil mix smelling worse that fresh gas, so hopefully fresh fuel, a filter and clean injectors And o rings will do it, along with fixing that connector leak.

Has the car run with these injectors and tune before? What year and modifications?

I do not know where this went, so sorry if it shows up again. If the girl is just stale, rather than turning to varnish and is filthy, Jrichker has a write up on how to drain it by the Scrtader valve in the injector rails, and which terminal to jump power to to run the pump. Unless the tank is rusty or full of dirt, this and then a new filter are often sufficient.

If you need to drop it and have it cleaned at a radiator shop, you still will want the Heavy fuel out first.

What I was trying to get across before is that it is nearly impossible to get oil in the fuel lines from the engine end. The bad smell in the oil pan and fuel line is likely the same bad gas. If there is oil in the fuel, it almost absolutely had to come from the tank end, either by sabotage or adding something like a Marvel Mystery Oil. I do not remember fresh and unburned two cycle fuel oil mix smelling worse that fresh gas, so hopefully fresh fuel, a filter and clean injectors And o rings will do it, along with fixing that connector leak.

Has the car run with these injectors and tune before? What year and modifications?
IIts a long story,I bought short block rebuilt,bought heads ran it then i heard ticking sound so removed rocker noticed valve tip messed up only ran it maybe 10 miles or so,so removed engine had new valve tips installed put it back together and its just been sitting there for a long while!The injectors are new I bought lmr bosh last year.I havent turned it on yet,I just stabbed distributor and I was in the process of adding fkluids getting ready to start it and set timing.Its a long project :) so I added gauges and Im not sure what made me turn the key forward (I think when I was wiring my gauges) & thats when I noticed the smell.I looked under car saw the gas leak It was comming from the russell line (I guess I overtightened causing it to leak)Thats when I noticed the smell.So I undid the line and I kept turning on and off the key Like a MILLION times draing out the gas.So Im not sure if its the injectors.I cleaned them using battery and carb cleaner letting them soak in injector cleaner ten min.When I was going to add engine oil to the engine thats when I noticed the same bad smell came out the drain plug.No i havent had a tune.You think I overflooded the engine?I havent taken ouyt the spark plugs to see anything.can there be gas inside there right now as we speak?

Warning! If your injectors are out, or the fuel injector line is disconnected, and you turn on the key, it will pump a lot of fuel out of the fuel line all over the engine!
That kinda what I did but under the car on the fuel line where the russell conncets to the car.I undid it and turned the key a million times on purpose to get the gas out into container.WhenI did that could gas gotten in the engine?Thats the only thing I could think of or My new injectors that I only rasn 10 miles or so went bas just sitting there,or I connected the fuel pressure regulator vaccum wire was connected to wrong part of the vaccum tree?I plan on dropping tank,changing filter,not sure on injectors they are 248 :(

Last edited:
The vac port has nothing to do with this. Put it back and feel better, the signal is the same on all the ports at the firewall tree. It’s not like ported it timed vac on a carburetor.

There is an easy way to see if it has gas in bad spots, and that’s pull the plugs and change the oil. If you think the gas washed out the cylinders, a squirt or two of oil in the cylinders will pre-oil before you start it or any parked engine. Better that it smoke at first from fresh oil in the combustion chamber that later from scuffed parts.

I am also concerned about the leak under the car being repaired well.

Only you can answer if the injectors (or one injector) were stuck open and are not working by testing them. As you have tried cleaning them, I figure you already know if they are ok now. It is likely one was stuck, and needs fresh gas and then new oil with a couple of shots in the cylinders before start up. My Crystal ball is broken to diagnose without you checking the basics.

Just turning the key onto run, but not start, should send the pump into a 10 second max power up cycle to be ready to start. You said that's how you slowly drained the fuel. So a good amount of gas could have one down a cylinder, but not enough to fill the crank case as if it kept the pump running.

Now I am going to tell you to pull the vacuum line to the pressure regulator. After working that far forward, the next time you pressurize the fuel system, and before you start it, pull the line from the top of the fuel regulator to see if fuel is going out the top and into the intake via the vacuum line. If it is not, plug the line and test the fuel pressure at idle. Testing pressure with the line attached will not give a useful, static reading.

• Useful