Gas Prices Suck

Daggar

Jul 19, 2004
$400 Billion profit this year and yet we're expected to believe that the gas companies are not responsible for the price hikes.... yep... I'm swallowing that one. Got this email today. Certainly couldn't hurt to give it a shot.

GAS WAR - an idea that WILL work

This was originally sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton. It ' s worth your consideration.

Join the resistance!!!! I hear we are going to hit close to $4.00 a gallon by next summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action. Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea.

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read on and join with us! By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.79 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the
marketplace..... not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out at this point.... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people.

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us sends it to at least ten more (30 x 10 =3D 300) ... and those 300 sen d it to at least ten more (300 x 10 =3D 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers. If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it.....

>>>>> THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!! <<<<<

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am, so trust me on this one.)

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!!

I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you?

Acting together we can make a difference. If t his makes sense to you, please pass this message on. I suggest that we not buy from EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN.

THIS CAN REALLY WORK.

• Sponsors (?)

I got that email and sent it to 35 people...i am boycotting mobile right now.....as well as other members of my family and 4 of my friends....who knows if it will help...but worth a shot

4u2nv said:
With WW3 (Iran) coming, prices are cheap right now.

Actually... I now believe those to be nothing more than excuses used by gas companies to justify their raising the prices. You can't make record earnings and say that it's the cost of a barrel of oil that's driving it all up when you're posting that kind of profit.

Daggar said:
Actually... I now believe those to be nothing more than excuses used by gas companies to justify their raising the prices. You can't make record earnings and say that it's the cost of a barrel of oil that's driving it all up when you're posting that kind of profit.
Exactly.

Apparently the ExxonMobil CEO is retiring this year...and getting a $400 MILLION dollar severance package...add that to the $51 million he's making annually now... Who needs that much money? Seriously..people are starving and this guy is probably racking his head on how to spend even 1/10th of his money. The greed of the oil industry is unbelievable..and insatiable.

Gas prices are ridiculous, but has anyone done anything about it? It seems that everyone complains but no one buys a cheaper vehicle to run. I have a 88 and a 4x4 that get close to 12 mpg so i decided to do something about paying out my ass for gas. Bought a cavalier last weekend. Gets 35+ mpg to a tank. Just my two cents.

raw132002 said:
Gas prices are ridiculous, but has anyone done anything about it? It seems that everyone complains but no one buys a cheaper vehicle to run. I have a 88 and a 4x4 that get close to 12 mpg so i decided to do something about paying out my ass for gas. Bought a cavalier last weekend. Gets 35+ mpg to a tank. Just my two cents.

I think that is a major problem right there. All these people driving these gas guzzling suvs and trucks are not helping bring prices down.

But its not even the fact of price imo. The human race is pretty much bending over the earth and giving it hard in the pooper. We'll all be dead in 25 years from pollution anyways.

RedFoxGT said:
$1.30 ?:rolleyes: The last time when gas prices were $1.30 I was in preschool. This guy has to be kidding. I seriously don't see gas companies lowering gas by more than 50% anytime soon.
Gas was $1.05 when i started driving 6 years ago what are you talking about..

looking at the price of gas, it's easy to bitch ( which i do ) and act as if it's a recent problem. truth is it's not. after the second world war the u.s. and every other major nation was left over with an overly industrialized society that mas made necessary by the war itself. that directly translated into a world overly dependent on oil. it would have happened anyway, but while fueling the war machine to bring the ol' nutsy Nazi down, we accelerated the use and by default created an engine of destruction. and with the popularity of the automobile and all the possibilities opened by a mechanized workforce, the world quickly became even more so dependent on oil. in the golden years of the 50's and 60's no one was trying to develop a realistic, usable alternative fuel source, although that period in history represents the biggest increase in oil consumption worldwide. since then our usage has increased exponentially, on every continent. makes me wonder - if the same passion that was applied to putting a man on the moon was applied to developing, say solar power... where would we be now? since then our consumption of oil has grown and become this green eyed monster. i love my 8 cylinder mustang, but if i were faced with $7.00 a gallon gasoline it would strictly become a luxury item and i would be biking my ass to work. and the sad part is how blatantly rich the oil companies are getting these days, and the excuses they make for the cost. i heard a radio news spot say that "fear of terrorism in Nigeria is forecast to drive the cost of oil up" ..... what the F**K?!?! fear of terrorism? why don't they just say bad karma is driving the price up? or maybe because the ceo of Exxon didn't get the pony he wanted when he was eight. last summer in saudi they were paying the equivalent of over $7.00 a gallon for gasoline. and that country is absolutely drowning in oil. and the majority of the people in saudi aren't rich oil barons. most of them are so toothless and barefoot it would make someone from Alabama look like Clark Gable. The oil companies - not any government, not any world event, are the ones to blame for the high prices. talk about some greedy bastards. people like to bitch and say the white house and the government is solely responsible but that is way wrong. sure any high ranking politician is going to have some oil guys in his pocket, but we can't forget that this is 2006 and we live in an entirely globalized economy. the good ol' u.s. of a isn't so independent anymore. every major oil company has multi-national ties and money tied in with every foreign government as a contingency effort just in case they go under in their home country. they can offer to sell to some obscure patch of dirt country of people in europe say for instance finally give them the boot.

whoa, i didn't even realize i went off on a tangent. anyway, the man was right. the price of gas sucks. and you know what? I'm glad that bitch shot J.R. Ewing. He had it coming. $5 bucks to the first guy who puts a solar powered 5.0 into the 10's in the quarter.

RS200 said:
Apparently the ExxonMobil CEO is retiring this year...and getting a $400 MILLION dollar severance package...add that to the $51 million he's making annually now... Who needs that much money? Seriously..people are starving and this guy is probably racking his head on how to spend even 1/10th of his money. The greed of the oil industry is unbelievable..and insatiable.

I read that this retiring Exxon Mobil CEO mofo has personally earned more than $686 MILLION from 1993-2005 in personal income.

Think of what the other higher up`s must be pulling in as well.

Big oil racks right up there as probably the greediest pirates of all time.
You can`t fight this big oil elite cartel...they are far too powerful.

A lot of people and businesses are really hurting while these elite pirate bastards keep getting richer.:fuss:

There is nothing that we can do. If you want cheaper prices then you are going to find a different source for fuel. As long as oil is in such demand as it is now prices are going to keep going up. That is just the facts. With oil prices at $70 a barrel it is going to be about $3 a gallon at the pumps maybe a little more.

Not shopping at a specific gas station doesn't help anything. Yes Exxon/Mobil made record profits last year. That doesn't mean that you local Mobil station isn't hurting for money. It also doesn't mean that you local Mobil station is selling Mobil fuel or that your local Citgo isn't selling mobil fuel themselves.

here is my question. Listen real good.

We are paying more cause of "futures" right? So why isn't all the money they made last quarter making up for this quarter? Didn't we already pay for a shortage? If not, what is the "futures" all about?

again really slowly.

Why are they raising prices now and saying that "in the future it will be harder for them to get it?" Calling it "futures" and charging more? When does that ever come to a point were it can actually pay for its self?

The "extra" money they are making off us is because it is supposed to be harder in the future to optain said oil. Okay, so doesn't that mean that they are supposed to be drilling right now with the money they made? To ensure that they have a consistent reserve thus stabilizing the price of gas? Where is there some kind of checks and balance in this process guys? This is the only industry that can have run away prices? I DO understand it is a non renewable reasource. I understand that, hell if I were a CEO of Exxon I would want a $150million retirement fund too, yeah I think that making $114,000/day is about right don't you?

When are we going to get someone high enough in the food chain that will actually demand, or even set into law a checks and balance system for the energy industry? We all need food to survive too, but you don't see the nachos bellgrande going above $10.00 alil serving at the local Taco Hell do you?

EDIT: What is the real number on this Exxon Mobile sleezeball? What is he really getting?

Also, what companies get their oil from exxon? I don't want to support any of them.

wazazzle said:
Only person getting rich from this war is the Bush Family since they own an oil company. :nonono: :
:nonono: :nonono::nono:

As if the "Bush" family are the only ones invested in oil....start calling out all who have shares, then all the families involved, all the refineries.....then it might sound intelligent. Liberal...:nonono: Since when have we turned to praising someone for seeing an opportunity and profiting in this FREE market economy. No one makes me turn the key to my vehicle, I chose a v8, and I choose to drive it.