• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

Gas tank paint

  • Thread starter Thread starter raleighstang65
  • Start date Start date Apr 6, 2008

raleighstang65

Member
Jan 19, 2007
170
0
16
Wake Forest, NC
Apr 6, 2008
#1
  • Apr 6, 2008
  • #1
In the process of cleaning up and painting the rear undercarriage and wheel wells. Wanted some opinions on painting the underside of the gas tank. So far I've sanded it down and primed it. Should I use gloss paint or something else? I've been using Eastwoods Rust Encapsulator as the primer coat for everything so far, then 3M undercoating followed by Eastwoods Chassis Black (gloss). I don't plan on undercoating the tank just painting it.
It's definately not a show car but I thought while I'm redoing the suspension front and back I might as well clean things up so it looks good. Not looking for concours correct and on the flip side I don't want it to look too "bling"!
Thanks!
:SNSign:
 

rbohm

Founding Member
Apr 12, 2002
6,698
550
204
tucson,az
Apr 6, 2008
#2
  • Apr 6, 2008
  • #2
i painted the bottom of my tank with flat black and went over it with clear.
 
B

bnickel

Founding Member
Aug 21, 2002
5,640
3
77
lubbock, texas
Apr 6, 2008
#3
  • Apr 6, 2008
  • #3
i used a rustoleum black applaince epoxy on my tank, it's glossy but is a slightly different shade of black from everything else under the car so it looks really good.
 

65ShelbyClone

Founding Member
Sep 9, 2000
4,675
38
119
Antelope Valley, SoCal
Apr 6, 2008
#4
  • Apr 6, 2008
  • #4
I used gloss black Rustoleum Rust Cap all over my fuel tank when it was out of my '68. It's not that easy to see under the car, but it was pretty glossy before my Toploader's rear seal blew and covered it with gear oil(and dirt).
 

iskwezm

10 Year Member
May 24, 2005
4,159
20
79
Rowland Heights,California
Apr 7, 2008
#5
  • Apr 7, 2008
  • #5
I took my raw new tank, cleaned it with laquer thinner and shot it with a gloss clear.
View attachment 323419
View attachment 323420
 

raleighstang65

Member
Jan 19, 2007
170
0
16
Wake Forest, NC
Apr 7, 2008
#6
  • Apr 7, 2008
  • #6
Thanks for all the replies! I think I'm going to go with the gloss. I do see the underside of mine everyday, our driveway is up hill so when I pull in and open the garage thats what I see.

Iskwezm beautiful tank!
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

K
Door post and rust repair
  • Kleinjj27
  • Aug 21, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
310
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 8, 2026
Kleinjj27
K
B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
346
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
R
What's it Worth? 1997 Cobra, a ton of mods and restoration
  • riored97snake
  • Jun 18, 2026
  • What is it Worth?!?!?
Replies
2
Views
340
What is it Worth?!?!? Jun 21, 2026
riored97snake
R
M
01 mustang 3.8 fuel pressure issue
  • Mhaley2006
  • May 29, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
372
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Aug 9, 2026
JohnKay
J
B
Saying Hi
  • BriansNSane
  • Dec 20, 2025
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
5
Views
361
The Welcome Wagon Dec 21, 2025
BriansNSane
B
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?