Gator Grip (Verdict: Very Handy, Useful)

topless98gt

Adhesive Feces
Mar 31, 2005
Arlington, TX
Well, I've been eyeballing this socket lately, called the Gator Grip. I'm sure you've all seen the TV ads for it. Well, I just wanted to say how useful it is, and was wondering how many of you actually have one of these?

I just used it to take off my front license plate. I feel like a criminal now :)

• Sponsors (?)

dangit, you mean to tell me i got half a grand worth of craftsman tools and i coulda just got GATOR GRIP?? im a dork lol

im sure its good for around the house things but if ya start putting a real load on it i bet all those little pins inside of it give way pretty soon. i have sets of 6 side and 12 side sockets cause sometimes you gotta use a 6 for high torque applications.

i wanna see what 450ftlbs tq of impact does to it :)

dangit, you mean to tell me i got half a grand worth of craftsman tools and i coulda just got GATOR GRIP?? im a dork lol

im sure its good for around the house things but if ya start putting a real load on it i bet all those little pins inside of it give way pretty soon. i have sets of 6 side and 12 side sockets cause sometimes you gotta use a 6 for high torque applications.

+1

It is a damn fine socket for general use. I busted my first one by being a bit overzealous with some torque application, but I got another one. It isn't the greatest for tight spaces, but it's pro list is longer than it's con list. I recommend everyone have one in their trunk tool kit. I am surprised there are people who haven't heard of it....go to Wal Mart. I live a hundred miles from a full service city, and even we have the Gator Grip! Watch the info-mmercial. I bought mine for $16.95 on sale. Think they are noramlly $20. May be cheaper now, as it has been out for a few years.

I think 450ft/lbs on a Gator Grip would be like throwing the pin and holding the grenade.

never heard of it. where can you find it and how much does it cost? and what are u gonna do about the holes in the front now?
Product Page (the package I got): http://www.endeavorproducts.com/ggrip/etc200.html
Place of Purchase: Wal-Mart
Cost: $14
Fits: 1/4" (7mm) to 3/4" (19mm)

I am not sure about the holes yet...probably some bondo and paint! I have to clean it first ;)

They say that this one can exceed 150ft-lbs of torque. The larger one, called the King Gator, which fits 7/16" (12mm) to 1.25" (32mm), can exceed 450ft-lbs of torque. That means that it can handle more torque than my car supplies!

Endeavor Gator Grip Website said:
The Gator-Grip® socket contains 54 spring-biased hardened alloy steel rods. When placed over a fastener the center rods retract while the outer rods surround the fastener. As the fastener is turned the torque is transmitted through the outer rods to the walls of the socket. The 3/4" diameter Gator-Grip® delivers 150 ft. lbs. of torque and fits bolt heads up to 3/4" (eyebolts up to 2"). The 1.25" diameter King Gator can deliver more than 450 ft lbs. of torque.

I do not know if the GATOR GRIP is any good or not. But 450 ftlbs tq will probable do the same thing to it it does to your 3/8" and 1/2" sockets. That is why they made special impact sockets.:shrug:

Well you sure arent gonna keep all those full sets of sockets in your trunk. Plus how many things on our cars need to be torqued to 450 ft/lbs? That kinda torquing would break most of the plastic parts on our cars the bolts go into. It could be really useful to keep in your trunk especially if you break down somewhere at night. No more hunting for the right size socket in the dark.

450 ft/lbs on the regular Gator Grip would paralyze the shop. All those little rods flying everywhere.....

Very rarely do I read something and 'laugh out loud' but that, my friend, made me LMAO! :rlaugh: :rlaugh: :rlaugh:

That's what I was thinking too. The one I have from a few years ago wouldn't work on anything, regardless of required torque! ... paralyze the shop ... :rlaugh:

450 ft/lbs on the regular Gator Grip would paralyze the shop. All those little rods flying everywhere.....

dude ive seen that happen before. someone is putting a front hub back together on an older exploder or isuzu and something shoots out. the whole shop stops and looks for a pin or a e-clip. of course its on one of the lifts that people never clean so its looking for a black clip on a black floor.

btw a MATCO double bay box with complete 1/2, 3/8, 1/4 drive sockets all 6pt in chrome and impact shallow, mid, deep, as well as all swivels all metric(no older domestic stuff at my work) > a gator grip. and before anything says anything 1/4 impact does come in very useful, especially the 1/4 deep impact swivels. and no i dont use 12pt sockets, i only have the very few that i need cause hardly anyone uses 12pt fasteners anymore.

I do not know if the GATOR GRIP is any good or not. But 450 ftlbs tq will probable do the same thing to it it does to your 3/8" and 1/2" sockets. That is why they made special impact sockets.:shrug:

nope. before i had all my 1/2" stuff i used an adapter with the impact and all my 3/8" sockets did great. i've twisted off more stuff with brute force and a breaker bar than the impact ever did. hint, if you buy a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter dont get it from vatozone cause apparently it just takes some corn fed texan strength to twist that mother off.

like i said, good for around the house and misc jobs but it can't replace my 200piece craftsman 1/4"-1/2" set.

fwiw, i was taking mycaliper brackets off 3 days ago & the 2-15mm bolts that hold it in were seized. i broke both of my craftsman shallow 15mm sockets on trying to break these things loose. it was late so sears had closed so we headed to wal-mart & saw that & figured it couldn't hurt to try. long story short, we ended up breaking it loose with the gator-grip piece. i can guarantee there was alot more TQ being used on that thing than 150lbs. i was expecting it to just go into pieces but it held suprisingly well.

i can't say that i'd trust it all the time, but definately came in handy for me