Gauges acting very strange

vmurf2

Oct 6, 2011
I have a 2005 V6 Blue Mustang and I am having gauges issues. The tach, speedometer, gas and temp are all acting strange. One time it stalled out and would not start for about 15 minutes. It didnt get wet or anything like that.
But it did throw a check engine light. I went to the ford dealer (mistake) to get the code read and they said I would have to leave the car so they could check it out. But instead of that I went to a friend with a code reader. It was a gas pressure issue. Gas cap and problem went away but the gauges are still acting crazy. Somes times they work and then they dont. I have reset the computer. Gauges still dont operate correctly. Temp goes past the H, gas reads low always, and speedometer isnt right and tach is very low.

Is there any test to check the instrument panel? Or anything else that can be done or anything else causing the issues.

• Sponsors (?)

Funny you say that-----Yesterday I went to go out and the battery was dead for some reason. No power was left on in the car so I looked at the date of the battery but could not find a date. But it was made by motorcraft which tells me that it is probably original. The battery will charge and then started the car and stayed charged but the gauges are still wacky. Could you explain why the battery. The lights and all power work fine (except gauges) so Im thinking the alternator is ok.

Just because the battery can start the car doesnt mean its OK.
Its not strong enough to operate all the cars electronics properly.
Probably time for a new one, and also inspect the cables and termials
for corrosion.

The computers that run today's cars don't like batteries that are going bad. My gauges in my 03 F150 started pegging out upon startup and that was a sign that my battery was going bad.

Funny you say that-----Yesterday I went to go out and the battery was dead for some reason. No power was left on in the car so I looked at the date of the battery but could not find a date. But it was made by motorcraft which tells me that it is probably original. The battery will charge and then started the car and stayed charged but the gauges are still wacky. Could you explain why the battery. The lights and all power work fine (except gauges) so Im thinking the alternator is ok.

I'd take the $$ and get you a new battery

I had a similar problem with mine a couple of years ago. Fuel gauge went whacky - shift light started coming on randomly (and it's an auto).

Checked the battery which showed weak so I replaced it. No more problems after that. The heat here tears up batteries in a hurry. If you get two years out of them you did good. :(

Does your battery have one of those circular "condition color" windows on top? If so, it's most likely the original battery. I just sold my '05 Excursion, and it still had the original battery. My wife had a blue '05 V6 Mustang, and its battery was replaced under warranty when it died within 6 months after buying the car new.